Artvalues

Toshiba Satellite won't go past Toshiba welcome screen.

[ Edited ]

Hi. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that was shut while running and sat overnight without power so it was basically sleeping.

In the morning, I turned it on and it froze on the Toshiba welcome screen which is the first thing you see when you start up the laptop.

The keyboard and mouse wouldn't work which didn't let me go into safe mode.

Also, the little cylinder light that indicates when the computer loads was completely on and stayed on.

It runs on Windows XP.

And now it does this everytime I turn it on and won't go any further.

Please help! Thanks!

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Toshiba Satellite won't go past Toshiba welcome screen.

The computer is not finding a boot device or files. Go into the Bios and check the Boot Priority. On most Toshiba Satellites, you either hit the Escape key or the F2 key to get into the Bios. Make sure that the first boot device is the hard drive. Often you will see this abreviated at HDD. Also make sure that the hard drive is being seen in the Bios. If the hard drive is not being seen in the Bios you are not going to boot into Windows. Guaranteed. If the hard drive is being seen in the Bios and is the first boot device in the Boot Priority and it is still not going beyond the Toshiba splash screen, then you have a major software problem. In that case the only option is run the Recovery CDs and see if you can reimage the hard drive. If the hard drive is not being seen in the Bios, this could indicate that the hard drive is not properly connected to the computer or has gone bad. In that case, you will be talking to your friendly Toshiba authorized repair center for diagnostics and repairs.