coreykaja

Toshiba Satellite l655d-s5050 no bios prompt

When I start the computer it just says invalid partition table. I understand that there is no operating system on it but there should be a bios prompt screen. I've tried holding down the esc key, all the function buttons  and even delete. I'm trying to get it to boot from CD drive but it wont register the cdrom drive so I would like to look at the bios to see what's going on. Thank you in advance =)

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: Toshiba Satellite l655d-s5050 no bios prompt

Corey, hello.

The "normal" way to enter BIOS is by tapping the Del, repeatedly at 2 - 3 seconds interval when booting, it should show on the screen the Del for BIOS and F12 for boot device.

If you do not see this, you might have a more drastic problem. The normal sequence is HD, CD-DVD device and maybe USB HD. Should your HD be crunged as you seem to indicate, the machine ought to go to your DVD medium to boot. If it does not, there is a larger problem, are you sure that you have the proper Recovery medium ?

coreykaja

Yes I've tried taping the del key at the start many times but still goes stright to trying to access the hard drive. And umm not to be to newish but what do you mean by recovery medium? Also the dvd drive flashes when I open it and close it but doesnt even attempt to boot off it.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Corey, hello.

I can not find this :   l655d-s5050  model in the Toshiba line up ?  Please double check yours.

>>> what do you mean by recovery medium?

I was trying to show you your user's manual as it is included in your machine. It says in the first few pages, that to protect your investment, you ought to make a Recovery suite of maybe three DVDs, of your machine. The #1 would be bootable and they would enable you to redo the system in an "out-of-the-box" condition. Seems to me that you overlooked that step !!!

Not knowing if you have a more serious problem, I will not advise you to obtain the Recovery DVDs from Toshiba. If you wish to go that route, there is an advise on how to do this in the first post of the Recovery subject here.

This medium is also on the HD in a hidden partition, if all is well on your machine, hitting the key 0 ( zero ) when it tries to boot might bring you to a Recovery mode. Give it a go !

This site is more or less North America, where are you ? Your different model number might thus be explained. JP.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Corey, here is your user's guide :

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=268156...

I will try and locate the pertient page for you. Be back in a jiffy or two.

I am back, in the manual, at page 61 you will find the instruction to recover to "OOTB" from the hidden partition. At page 68, you will find how to make the Recovery medium, might be too late ! ! !

On the URL that I gave you here, you will find a link to User's Guide.  Good reading for an avid mind.  JP.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Corey, I found it.  Last Spring, it was debated here. If you want the full discussion, I will try and locate it again.

Toshiba Forums -Troubleshooting - Recovery - Re: BIOS Update Failure Satellite L505D-S5965

Follow this in this forum, this is not a valid URL.

Reflash for INSYDE BIOS.

Using a separate computer if necessary perform the following:

1) Download your notebook model's BIOS "*.exe" file from the Support section. Mine was: slm0v150.exe

2) Extract the files from the "*.exe" file.

3) Locate the file that ends with ".fd", this is your actual BIOS file.

*(for different brand BIOS's the file may have a different extension such as .rom or .bin)

4) Rename your BIOS file to: "BIOS.fd" without the quotations.

5) Format a USB Flash Drive to (FAT or FAT32) file system.

6) Copy your newly named "BIOS.fd" file to the root directory of the Flash Drive. (Not inside any folders)

On the corrupt computer perform the following:

7) Remove the Battery, AC Adapter, and Hard Drive.

8) Plug the Flash Drive with your "BIOS.fd" file on it into any USB port.

9) While holding the Fn and F key on your keyboard:

a) Plug the AC adapter into your computer.

b) Hold the Power button until the computer turns on.

c) Release the Power button and both keys once you hear the fan turn on.

10) Observe your Flash Drive's LED's blinking, wait until your computer turns off and remove the Flash Drive.

11) Replace Battery and Hard Drive.

12) You're computer should be all set!

Not for the faint of heart but the person who did this is not a high techie. JP.

coreykaja

ty sir I will try this. I appreciate the effort u are putting into this =D

coreykaja

So far my USB only flashes for 2 seconds when it turns on and then quits accessing. I'm left with a screen with a dash at the top =/ I followed step by step as well. Making sure to remove the hard drive, the battery, as well as holding down the fn+f+power button at the required times x_x.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Corey, hello.

The steps that your are trying are not for your condition, they are for a machine where the BIOS is to be remade. You would have to download the small flash programme first.

Do go and read the address that I gave you, Toshiba Forums -Troubleshooting - Recovery - Re: BIOS Update Failure Satellite L505D-S5965. This procedure would apply to all Toshibas. If it is beyond your knowledge, seek some local help.

Be good.  JP.

TJ2011

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965. Upon starting, all i can do is press F2 or F12. No other keys work. I can't load my OS. I can not use the mouse or other keys. I suspect this is a bios problem. I've been reading for the last week everything to do but to no avail has anything worked. I downloaded the most recent Bios for this model. Renamed as suggested. I went and bought a usb floppy as usb flash and cd didn't work. I would love to get this up and running. It also was suggested that it could be insyde problem. I went to their website and could not find one single support or bios updates or download. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tammy..;-)

Dave2170

They make it difficult, but possible.  Here is what worked for me:

Hit power button and hold down either the F2 or F12 key

If the boot menu comes up, arrow down to the enter setup item

Go to the Advanced tab in setup and make sure boot speed is set at "Normal"

(the fast boot speed only boots to the HD and will ignore the other setup changes)

Then, go to the Boot tab and use the F5 and F6 keys to get the order that you want

Then, save changes and exit at the exit tab.

Make sure you have a boot disk in the cd/dvd drive (it took me 30 minutes to realize that I put the wrong disk in!)

And, it should work fine for you.