marylinger

Toshiba Satellite c655-s5212 acting quirky and slow since using Windows Live Movie Maker

Started using the movie maker a few days ago. Yesterday it started to act weird and wouldn't play the video clips properly along with music that was added.  Now the whole system is acting very strange, taking forever to open any programs, putting itself into shutdown/security mode, cannot play any sound files without problems.  Any suggestions?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Satellite c655-s5212 acting quirky and slow since using Windows Live Movie Maker

Satellite C655-S5212

When things go haywire, one of the first things to try is a System Restore.

What is System Restore?

-Jerry
marylinger

Re: Toshiba Satellite c655-s5212 acting quirky and slow since using Windows Live Movie Maker

Hi and thanks.  I have just done my second system restore to an earlier safe point but to no avail.  Programs are taking forever to open, and I haven't tried any of the programs that I was using when I first started seeing problems (ex:  Windows Live Movie Maker)  The computer is about 8 months old and I have never had problems until now.  I am running a virus scan right now too.  I have also run system checks through Toshiba and Windows and nothing was found.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Programs are taking forever to open,..

What happens when you boot into Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

-Jerry
marylinger

Hi Jerry,  What am I to look for in opening in safe mode?  The events don't seem to show anything, but I would be glad to post them.  There were some things in events, but I don;t understand them.  The problem hasn't gone away, and I will be doing something, such as surfing the web, or trying to write a word doc, and the whole thing just seems to lock up.  If I wait for a while sometimes is starts working again.  I think it is most frustrating online when I am doing something and it just stops responding.  I know it isnt our server.  This happened when I was trying to make a second movie in Window Movie Maker Live.  The program went wacky.  A little later my daughter was playing a sound file and it stutttered, froze, and made a loud buzz.  Ran all the programs from Toshiba to check the system, and from Windows to check that, but nothing shows up.  Went in and turned off a lot of programs that were activated in startup, but still no luck.  Is there any known conflict with Windows Live and Toshiba software?  It just seems like something is malfunctioning as it stops responding for no reason.  I had no problems, no complaints at all until this.  Loved how quick and responsive the laptop was, but now it reminds me of my old dinosaur pc. 

marylinger

Hi Jerry,

I started my computer in safe mode with networking.  It did run better except with a game that I play frequently online.  It repeatedly hung up there.  I couldn't open any programs that I tried on the laptop such as Word.  I did get into events and saw a lot of things that happened around the time this started such as app error with explorer. EXE faulty module, Distrib COM error 1084,  eror 0xC0000188, server did not register with DCOM, VSS Shadow copy service denied access, patch task, WMPlayer stopped interracting, etc. but I have no idea what this means.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What am I to look for in opening in safe mode? 

I thought the problem was this.

Programs are taking forever to open,..

Does it still occur in Safe Mode?

Forget about Events and games for now. Let's talk about real programs that you need to run.

-Jerry
marylinger

Hi Jerry,  I have tried everything and also have tried looking through the Windows 7 boards, but to no avail.  Some programs take a long time to load.  Going online has become a hit or miss situation.  Sometimes it seems to function and I can navigate through web pages, but most of the time the system hangs and it takes forever just to close a window.  It is very frustrating since I was so happy with performance up to when this started.  Now I just get angry since nothing I have done has helped.  If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.  I really don't want to send it in for repair if not needed, but it is coming to that. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So after you boot into Safe Mode the same thing happens. Programs still load too slowly.

What happens when you boot into a different account? If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

These are diagnostic questions - not fixes.

-Jerry