john3077

Toshiba Satellite C660-1LD - Keyboard issues

[ Edited ]

As of yesterday the keyboard on the laptop is playing up .. the Function keys don't work .. and the letter keys to strange things - eg typing "b" gives "bn" .. typing "g" gives "gh" ... typing "y" gives "5y" ..  pressing space bar does nothing ..

I updated to the latest Bios version but this hasn't made any difference ..

The operating System in Windows 7

Any help appreciated ...

Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Toshiba Satellite C660-1LD - Keyboard issues

[ Edited ]

Satellite C660-1LD PSC0QE-03M00CEN Specifications

Satellite C660 PSC0QE Downloads

Has any liquid been spilled on the keyboard recently? Are you sure?

Regardless, click 'Start', type in   dev , click on 'Device Manager', click on arrow beside 'Keyboards', right click on your keyboard, click 'Uninstall', click 'OK'. Then shut down your unit using the mouse.

Now, let's try a proper system reset and see if this brings your keyboard back. With the laptop powered off, unplug everything including the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then boot into Windows and test your keyboard.

Assuming this fixes the double charcter problem, try this to correct your 'Fn+Fx' function key - flash card problem. If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the 'Fn+Fx' keys again.

If this doesn't work download these 2 files and double click to install them in this order, reboot after loading each file. These are zip files, so you'll have to extract the .exe files to install them. Then, try your Flash Cards Fn key again. If necessary repeat the above paragraph.

Toshiba Value Added Package

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

john3077

Thank you for the advice Mike,

In Device Manager (Keyboard) I can't uninstall the Keyboard - I don't have the option - It only shows "Flash Card ..." I unistalled that .. (its reinstalled now ..)

When I reboot the Tosh, I can't get into Bios - F2 doesn't work when the Toshiba Logo pops up - it boots straight into Windows 7

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...In Device Manager (Keyboard) I can't uninstall the Keyboard - I don't have the option...When I reboot the Tosh, I can't get into Bios - F2 doesn't work when the Toshiba Logo pops up - it boots straight into Windows 7

John

I think you must be missing a step with 'Device Manager - Keyboard', or you can't reach it properly because of your keyboard problems, so let's try that again.

With your touchpad or mouse, move the mouse pointer to the 'Start' button, click with the left mouse/touchpad button on 'Start', move the mouse pointer to 'Computer', click with the right button on 'Computer', in the menu that appears, click with the left button on 'Properties', on the top left side of this 'System' window, click with the left button on 'Device Manager'. In 'Device Manager' click with the left button on the arrow beside 'Keyboard', then click with the right button on 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard', you should get the menu you see below, left click on 'Uninstall', left click on 'OK'. Then use the touchpad or mouse to 'Shutdown' your computer.

Device Manager - Keyboard

Now, do the system reset again. With the laptop powered off, unplug everything including the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC. But, this time, first press and hold down the F2 key, then power your system on, keep holding the F2 key down until you hopefully enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then boot into Windows and test your keyboard.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

john3077

Hi Mike

the attached is what i see in device manager

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

OMG! I can't understand that at all. The Flash Card Support, is supposed to be a Toshiba utility, NOT a hardware driver.

First, go into 'Device Manager -> Keyboard', right click on the 'Toshiba Flash Cards Support Driver', click 'Uninstall', put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', and click 'OK'

Next, click on 'Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features' and uninstall the Toshiba Flash Card Support Utility, then reboot your system. Go back into 'Programs and Features' and uninstall the Toshiba Value Added Package, and reboot your system.

Now, go back into 'Device Manager -> Keyboard', what do you have in there now?

Also, can you get into the BIOS Setup by holding the F2 key down on power up?

Let us know. Good luck.

Mike

john3077

Hi Mike

The good news is the keyboard setting is now correct (see attached ), im also getting better at using the on screen keyboard :smileyhappy:

I still have a keyboard problem,though not as bad before, F2 doesn't work, nor does "w", "h", spacebar and back space... 

Super Advisor
miker643

If the F2 key won't work at all to get you into the BIOS Setup, then messing with the Windows drivers isn't going to help that.

Try to find someone with a USB keyboard, plug that in and give it a try. Does it allow you to use F2 to enter the BIOS Setup? Do all the letters seem to type OK.

Let us know.

Mike