xtwister161

Toshiba Satellite Broken Hinge

[ Edited ]

I bought a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5307, and within 6 months the left hinge of the screen broke!

I called Toshiba, and they say that it's not covered by warranty because it's physical damage.

After looking into it some more, a LOT of other people are having their hinge broke, and they had a settlement in 2010 for their broken hinges.  You would think that they would learn from that and make sturdy hinges.

I bought a replacement hinge, but now I noticed that I have to replace the whole back cover because the thread which holds the hinge screws also broke off!  So now I'm super pissed because I have to spend another $50.

I reviewed the toshiba laptop warranty, and no where does it say it doesn't cover physical damage, the warranty doesn't even mention the word "physical".  It states it won't cover cosmetic damage, but this is not cosmetic.  The warranty states that the laptop "is free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal", which it is not.

Toshiba really disappointed me in this one.  I'll probably fila a claim with the bbb.  If anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Regular Advisor
bmurray

Re: Toshiba Satellite Broken Hinge

I'd suggest pm'ing Peter (toshiba rep) and kindly ask him to look into for you.  he's pretty responsive to others here looking for help.

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
GDavidF

I have the identical problem on a Satellite U845 laptop.  The hinge broke in less than a year of normal use, but Toshiba support claimed that it is not covered under the warranty becuase it is "physical damage."  This makes absolutely no sense and is extremely frustrating.  The laptop was not subject to any misuse or accident.

How do I contact the "Peter" Toshi rep you suggested for help.  I am new to this board.

Thanks, 

sbtstone

Same problem with my Satellite C655.  Left hinge broke after about 6 months.  The laptop stayed in the same spot on my desk and was only opened and closed maybe 5 times total, so I know it was not physical damage.  Now certain keys are not working, and I can't even get it to boot. 

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! I don't know?? I'm sorry!! I don't know how a hinge gets broken. Some times messages go unanswered here and that really bothers me. This seems like a simple answer here would be appropriate. Some times messages get over looked. I guess that happens on forums.:smileywink:

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

--------How do I contact the "Peter" Toshi rep you suggested for help.  I am new to this board.-------------------------------------------

When logged in you will see at the top of the page: GDavidF    Sign out   My Settings    Help     (a picture of an envelope)   

Click on the envelope and it will take you to your message page. Click on compose new message and enter who you want to send to, in this case Peter.

Message subject would be broken hinge

Then in message body : put in your question, laptop info - he will need your model and serial number and copy and paste your question page which is here : http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/Toshiba-Satellite-Broken-Hinge/m-p/488867#M597...

And anything else you wish to add.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
robert62

I just got off the phone with a low level Customer Relations Case Manager named greg who was aggressive in statting that there is no C655 Satellite hinge defect and that there is no free repair of this defective laptop.  I asked for a senior more responsible manager to speak with and was informed that he was as high as I can go and that there is no further action that Toshiba will take.  

Extremely disappointing to know that a large firm cannot backup their products in the field.   Has anyone in this forum had their laptop fixed by Toshiba out of warranty for broken hinge / base cover defect?

Does anyone know any further detail about the Luke Cox post below which states that Toshiba acknowledges the defect?  

--------------------------------------------

LukeCox

Re: Satellite C655 screws falling out - anyone else

Options

‎11-12-2013 10:23 PM

Hi fish4specs,

This is actually a known issue by Toshiba. You may take this to any Toshiba Warranty Repair centre in your area and have this fixed for free. There has been a new bottom case released for all Satellite and Satellite Pro models (C650, C655, C650D, L650). This issue is coverable by warranty even if your unit is out of it's warranty period. They will replace the bottom assembly of your machine and re-fit the screws. In some cases Toshiba may also replace the Top assembly, Hinges (L/R), and any cables that may have been damaged, as well as the LCD mask & assembly.

Simply quote the following Engineering notice: TAP-EN-20130202-A 

Hope this has helped you out and if it has, throw me some Kudos

Attachments:

toshiba.jpg ‏13 KB

PattyinFL

:smileyfrustrated:  On November 23, 2012, I ordered a Toshiba Satellite from QVC...  P845-S4200..   I just love it!!  I mean I did....   Last month an ALT (left) key stopped working but since there are two of them, I forgot about it..  Then around Dec 1 2013, THE RIGHT HINGE MADE A HORRIBLE POPPING SOUND AS I CLOSED IT UP...   Not about to return it to be fixed for that kind of money...  Then I was told by a local repair shop for pc's that it's 60.00 an hour (minium) and they would have to take the whole thing apart to see what to order.  Then said it would either be a 30.00 hinge or 60.00 one depending on the size and plus shipping...  Well, I did talk to someone in the Tobshiba repair in CA and the part is 15.00.  Now that really stinks to hear that the local place would double the price of a little hinge!!!   Everyone wants your money!!  Who knows what else they would find since I would have to leave it and be without a pc...  

I did find a resonible on the HP site and ordered that...  We will see how that pc holds up!!..   I see I have a thread that came out as another person said...  This really stinks...  The laptop was not abused, I have no children in the house and I am the only one who uses it...  It's a shame on the rotten quality of a hinge..  and KEYS...  Two things on the pc that get the most use should be higher quality products!!!!  :womanfrustrated:

BagelAnne

Is the replacement of the hinge and/or bottom assembly still available?

How do I get this help?

pattyglasses

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM  anyone having any luck getting toshiba to replace the base and/or hinge

Regular Advisor
bmurray

I have suggested to you the only course I think you may get any satisfaction.  The fact that others have posted after the fact about similar issues and not indicated that they have even done that is testimony that they want someone to wave a magic wand and viola, their computer is fixed.  People, life ain't that easy.  Never was and never will be.  Be proactive (and I don't mean just type in red). 

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit