Tiagoroth
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Satellite Boot Up Problem

[ Edited ]

I was trying to reformat my friend's Toshiba Satellite L300 (No idea on the make) and install Windows XP. Her laptop was originally a Vista, so I created another partition as the (D: ) drive so I could upload XP without a hassle. But then I found out that my XP recovery disks were for Acer, when her laptop is a Toshiba. The Vista OS is on the (C: ) drive, and she has no Vista or Toshiba recovery disks. Now, whenever I boot up, I get:

"For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07 (080320)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

^ No boot disk.

Any help?

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Toshiba Satellite Boot Up Problem

Never a good idea to use another manufacturers disk on a computer. Most manufacturers put in some software to check the computer prior to installation. If the secret file is not found then the operation is aborted. I would leave the Acer disks away from the Toshiba computer. Probably not compatible.

The PXE errors mean that the computer is trying to boot from the LAN port. This could be caused by the Boot Priority in the Bios is set with the LAN as the first boot device, or the hard drive is not being seen in the Bios or there is no operating system on the hard drive. If there is no O/S on the hard drive, the computer will go to the next boot device and see if that works. If it doesn't, it will go down to the next boot device and try again. When it finally hits the LAN port and can't boot, you'll get the PXE error.

Toshiba will only provide the same operating system software as what originally came with the computer. If the computer originally came with Vista, then the only operating system that you can get from Toshiba is Vista. Still you can get retail versions of newer operating systems for installation and they will work OK. You may still need to go back to Toshiba for drivers for the new O/S.

Tiagoroth

But the initial Vista OS is still on the computer. I didn't delete it. I merely created a new NTFS partition with 16GB and restarted. Any tips on how to access the Vista OS?

Tiagoroth

Ah, no worries now. I figured out what was wrong.

When I created the 16GB partition for the XP OS, I accidentally marked it as Active. No worries now, it's fixed.

bishj001

My husband's stellite started doing this out of the blue. He was in the middle of working on homework, shut the lid and when he opened it back up he got the ethernet controller error and it won't boot up at all. It did not come with a boot up disk. Is there anything that we can do to get the computer to reboot without losing all the information on it?

shamu_h2001

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Restart your computer and press F1 to get into the BIOS and flow the steps.

1. Go to Advanced

2. Move down to SATA Controller Mode: Make sure it should be [EACH] if it is Compatibility change it to EACH.

Save the configuration and reboot see it it fixes the issue. This is because if you set to Compatibility it fist enters to the virtual drive or USB and filling Lan Boot which is PXE Enabled. Hope you will enjoy this and replay me if it dent work.

Thanks

Shanthamurthy

[admin edit of typo errors as requested by the potser]

marnnie

When i turned off my laptop toshiba satellite l500 t21 and turn it again it only shows a cursor and it takes 5 minutes to show some texts it says boot failed floppy faild then it will show the BIOS settings. why its like that?help please!

taylorsan10

my computer want boot it,s saying realtex RTL8101E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07 (080328)PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable PXE-MOF:Exiting PXE ROM. No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key.what can i do to fix it.

taylorsan10

can you help me solve my problem it did,nt start this until my internet carrier down load my virus protection

taylorsan10

i see where you had the same problem i have what did you do to fix it

Gmpa

The screen arrives at Advanced Boot Options with no SATA selection. Now what?

I may be dumb as an ox but I can pull my weight.