dominator6930

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587 Freezing Problem

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587 that is about 4 years old.

Recently, the laptop has been restarting or freezing with a black striped screen after a few minutes after startup.

Trying to solve the problem, I tried resintalling the OS and I went far as to opening the laptop and cleaning the fan out. The problem still persists.

I've attached a picture to help explain the situtation a little better. Notice that the harddrive light keeps on lighting druing the freeze.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587 Freezing Problem

[ Edited ]

Satellite A205-S4587

Trying to solve the problem, I tried resintalling the OS

When you reinstalled the OS, did you use the Toshiba Recovery Utility from the recovery partition or the recovery disks? See pages 57-65 of your User Guide. This is assuming your model came with this, as your guide says 'available on certain models'.

Mike

dominator6930

No, I didn't. I just installed it without adding anything.

Is that the problem?

It's just weird because if I wipe everything out on my hard drive, the problem wouldn't persist.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Well you might have a hardware problem, or it might still be some driver or Windows Update problem, even though you just wiped your hard drive.

Using the full Toshiba Recovery to return your unit to its out-of-the-box condition is considered the 'gold standard' to check whether or not you have hardware problem(s). This is because your laptop's hard drive and all its drivers and software are returned to their original factory condition. So, if your problem continues, you have a hardware problem. But, if the problem(s) disappear, then you have driver/software problem(s).

I am assuming that you do not have a set of Toshiba Recovery Disks. So, what OS version are you using now? The Windows Vista 32bit version your machine came with, or what?

Mike

dominator6930

I have upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit edition.

Super Advisor
miker643

Let's try this. Go into Device Manager by clicking on 'Start' and typing   devmgmt.msc   and clicking on this file. Then double click on the 'Display adapters', double click on your Intel Graphics Display adapter, click on the 'Driver' tab, and click on 'Uninstall', confirm 'OK' to uninstall, and 'OK' again to to close the Intel Graphics Display adapter. Reboot if necessary.

Reload these drivers in this order. Download these to your desktop and double click to install. Reboot as necessary, then proceed with the next driver/patch.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows 7 (32/64)

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility for Windows 7 (32/64)

Intel Display Driver for Windows 7 (32)

Intel Robson Technology Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

HDMI Control Manager for Windows 7 (32)

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

Toshiba Registry Patch for Windows7 Devices and Printers (32/64)

Let us know what happens and we'll take it from there. If you get any error messages, write them down exactly, spelling and syntax matter.

Good luck

Mike

dominator6930

I couldn't install the matix and the chipset driver because it said I didn't meet the minimum requirements.

As for all of the other one's, it installed fine.

When I uninstall the Intel graphics driver, the computer would install it again after I boot up the computer.

For now, the problem seizes to happen. I will post when a problem would occur again.

I really appreciate the help.

dominator6930

It seems that the problem is still not fixed. It happens randomly...

Can it be a hardware issue?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

miker643 wrote:

Well you might have a hardware problem, or it might still be some driver or Windows Update problem, even though you just wiped your hard drive.

Using the full Toshiba Recovery to return your unit to its out-of-the-box condition is considered the 'gold standard' to check whether or not you have hardware problem(s). This is because your laptop's hard drive and all its drivers and software are returned to their original factory condition. So, if your problem continues, you have a hardware problem. But, if the problem(s) disappear, then you have driver/software problem(s).

Ordering Recovery Disks

You should also be able to order a recovery disc from one of these third-party vendors. We have no experience with any of them; so be careful.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

Recovery-CD.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

miker643 wrote:.....If you get any error messages, write them down exactly, spelling and syntax matter.

dominator6930 wrote:

I couldn't install the matix and the chipset driver because it said I didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Order the recovery disks, to return your hard drive to its out-of-the-box condition. Or, write down exactly any error messages you get, spelling and syntax are important!

Mike

dominator6930

I didn't get any numbers when trying to install the drivers, but recently, I've got a blue screen with the laptop.

The error code was, "STOP: 0x000000F4 (00000003, 0x88E86D40, 0X88E86EAC, 0X83604EA0) ".

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hello miker.

>>> Download these to your desktop

You do imply a D/L to the desktop then a transfer to the laptop as this is a laptop ?

You must be aware that all the drivers are in a folder called TOSAPINS, in C:\, even after an over-install of W-7, that folder is there still. Not being narky here at all, not too many users see this.

Be good. Jean.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Daopa/Jean

Perhaps, when you do an upgrade from Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 32 bit; or if upgrade from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit; using the inplace 'Upgrade' method, or if you used an actual Toshiba Windows 7 Upgrade Edition CD, and NOT the Clean/Custom install method, it may create the TOSAPINS folder with the old Vista drivers in Windows 7.

However, when you do a Clean/Custom upgrade/install of Windows 7 32bit or 64bit edition, using a Microsoft Windows 7 Full Retail or Upgrade Disk, this TOSAPINS directory is NOT created.  By doing a Clean/Custom install this way, you are wiping out all your old partitions, directories, software, drivers, etc. I assure you, this TOSAPINS directory is NOT created using a Clean/Custom install.

I am not implying this, I am stating what I clearly believe to be a fact.

Mike

dominator6930

I got ahold of the Recovery Disk and restored it to out-of-the-box state.

It seemed to work fine for a couple of hours, but it froze, once again....

So know that I know it's not a software issue, but what could be causing the problem?

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Miker, hello.

>>> this TOSAPINS directory is NOT created

Right you are. He then did a full recovery to out of the box, would this not recreate too the Recovery partition as when "out of the box" ? But he has another problem, more than likely hardware.

I wonder if this 4 year old machine then had the OEM Recovery ? The disks maybe ? I should go and read the specs on his machine before sticking my neck out too far.

A nice new week to you.   Jean.

NB: I just read ( page 57 ) that "some" models have that capacity to make Recovery CDs or recover from the Recovery partition. As you stated, a full install would flush this out, I still wonder if doing a Recovery would redo the R. partition, it did on my Thinkpad, Toshibas could be different ! !

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

dominator6930 wrote:

I got ahold of the Recovery Disk and restored it to out-of-the-box state.

It seemed to work fine for a couple of hours, but it froze, once again....

So know that I know it's not a software issue, but what could be causing the problem?

Something that is important when you do a system recovery, is to NOT let Windows Update run, until you've had a chance to fully test your system for a considerable length of time. If you allow Windows Update to run, you cannot be sure it was still not some update that was/is creating your problem.

When you run the recovery program, at some point, when it is setting Windows up, it will ask you if you want Windows Update to run automatically, say 'No - I'll decide later'. Once Windows is fully setup, go into Windows Update, on the left side click on 'Change settings'.  Under the 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', then click on the 'OK' button at the bottom.

Then run a lengthy system test, perhaps for a couple of days, or until you satisfied your system is working properly, or if it still has a problem. If your system appears to work properly, then go back into Windows Update, keep the current settings, then manually check for updates, do NOT let Windows Update change any of the Toshiba supplied drivers, and after each update, again give your system a long enough test to properly decide if the problem has returned or not.

This method is the only way to really find if you have a hardware problem or not, and if not which update(s) are causing the problem.

Good luck.

Mike

dominator6930

Thank you for the long reply. Really appreciate it. I think Windows installed the updates as I was restoring, so I guess I have to recover all over again..

If the problem was caused by hardware, which part could be the problem? I really want to fix this problem, but I really wish there would be a quick solution.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Before you do another recovery make sure that this last BIOS update has been installed. On a restart, while the Toshiba logo is still on the screen, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, you can check the version in there.  If you do not have this version download it, double click to install, after the installation it will want to shutdown or restart. Regardless, on the restart, when you see the Toshiba logo, again press 'F2' to enter BIOS setup, in setup press 'F9' to load BIOS setup defaults, then press 'F10' to save and exit.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 5.20 for Satellite A200/A205

If you already have this update, or after you install it, run the recovery again. I remind you, when the recovery program is setting up Windows, it will ask you if you want Windows Update to run automatically, choose 'No, I will decide later'. Follow my advice on the above post.

Don't worry about hardware problems yet. Just worry about doing the recovery correctly to find IF you have a hardware problem or not.

Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hello miker 643.

Not wanting to have the ants at your picnic but here is my experience. I redid completely a system for a friend and let her rip totally, when it asked for updates I allowed it to do them all, when it showed the W-7 SP1, again I let her rip and that was a total success.  Just a FWIW.

I understand your stand, it might prove where there is a problem but when the machine is healthy, it ought to run fine as this one did.  Not arguing with you, just stating that it runs fine.

A nice week to you.   Jean.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

But, this one did not run fine in the recent past, and is not running fine now, despite 2 rebuilds, both with updates.

Dominator, please just try to follow the steps I gave above to try to troubleshoot your hardware problem, that was not resolved when you reinstalled Windows 7 32bit with updates, or a Toshiba recovery with updates.

We are trying to narrow down whether this is hardware problem, or an update/software problem. The Toshiba Recovery, without letting it do Windows Updates, is really the only way to do this.

Mike

Marcosdip

Dominator,

I have almost the exactly same problem as you. My notebook is a A205 - S4577. The image you posted with the screen freeze is almost the same that occurs with my notebook. The problem here increased in frequency and is mainly associated with the external power supply. In other words, it functions OK when only in battery mode, and when I connect the external power supply it freezes. So I must charge the batteries with the notebook powered off, and then power on only with the battery. I sent it to a technician and he told me it is a hardware problem in the motherboard. He told me (I haven't seen yet) it is a mechanical problem in the connection of the microprocessor with motherboard. So, I am now looking for a mainboard, but it is quite difficult to find one here where I live (South America, Brazil). Perhaps you and your helpfull friends could tell me where to buy one in the USA. Best regards, Marcos (sorry for the English)