bwjbr5217

Toshiba Satelite A665-S6070

I just bought a Toshiba Satelite A665-s6070 and I have been having trouble with random freeze ups.  It doesn't seem to matter whether im doing something that is intensive on the processor or if im just browsing the internet.  I have tried doing hardware and software updates but it doesn't appear to help.  I am on the verge of taking my computer back and getting my money back.

Occasional Contributor
david62650

Re: Toshiba Satelite A665-S6070

ok   do you get an error mesage saying "toshiba service station has stoped working"  if you have then some thing in the programing has failed      have it tested if you can or looked at by toshiba

bwjbr5217

I don't get any error messages and ctrl+alt+del don't do anything I have to do a hard restart by holding down the power button.  Also it appears I can't let the computer go into sleep mode or it will freeze when I wake it up and after a hard restart from waking it up from sleep the computer screen stays black.

paisley70

I am having the same trouble. Exactly as you have described. If this problem is so widespread there should be a way to fix it. Hopefully something will come along soon.

ninjamail

I'm having this same problem.

Been thinking about taking it back to best buy and returning it, the biggest reason I haven't yet is that the closest Best Buy is three hours away, haha.

OmOmSplat

I'm having the same problem, but i don't have the option of returning the laptop since i'm not in the USA anymore :smileysad:

did anyone find out what the cause of this random freezing is? has anyone tried contacting Toshiba support?

joelc

Hi,  I am no expert and I am posting here only to see if this helps.  I have an Satellite A505-S6005 PSAT6U laptop

and have had the same issue this month (July) with random freezing and lock ups. My machine was taking in excess of 4 minutes to boot to a useable desktop.  I was reading stuff from an internet search I did on random lock ups and an expert pointed to sometimes it can be a BIOS isssue.  I also went looking for viruses and malware and registry errors with free scanners but was told that rarely ever happens anyway. The results of those were negative all the way around.  I even ran the bundled Toshiba diagnostic software on the laptop and disk health apps both of which were good.  I Looked in the systems Windows error reports to see if the computer even knew it was locking up.  Sure enough nada all the way around.  I was starting to think maybe the beginning of hard drive failure on a brand new machine and getting pissed off about it.

I began searching Toshiba support sites and found an obscure citation for an A505 Bios update released back

in April or June in downloads for my laptop. One of the fixes listed was random freezes for some apps that I did not know what they did anyway. I then searched these forums for BIOS issues and found one that said do not do a BIOS update from within windows but use the Bootable CD/DVD option instead.  I spent most of yesterday making an entire back up of my system before I proceeded.  5 DVDs later and then created the bootable CD/DVD from the BIOS application that Toshiba had on the web site. Pressed F12 and did the BIOS update then the machine

restarted on its own.

I followed all of the steps/instructions and now my machine boots in less than 2 mins and has not frozen since.

I cannot tell you it is your BIOS, but maybe consider it as a possible option.  I was to  a point where I was going to take my device back to Best Buy using the warranty service I purchased or I was going to call Toshiba Tech support and pay, I am sure, big bucks to find out something.  I am so glad for these forums, without them I would have probably spent a bundle. I do not know how to tell if a BIOS is good or bad but now that I have seen what a properly updated one does, I will keep it on my radar scope in the future.  In addition I had previously signed up for Toshiba software release notices for my machine, but the BIOS update was never sent my way, so I am not too thrilled with Toshiba about that either.

Before you  go messing with a registry or bios or anything like that, you will want to back up, make good recovery media, or so forth because it is way too easy to permanently destroy the device before you know it.

OmOmSplat

Thanks a lot for the advice joelc :smileyhappy:

unfortunately, there is no BIOS update for the A665-S6070 :smileysad: i'm not sure what to do now..it froze 5 times in 15 minutes so far, and each time i have to power it off using the power button and start it again..

kosmoski5

We just bought the A665-S6070 four days ago and already returned it to Best Buy. In one hour it froze up twice and completely turned off six times. Each time when we turned it back on, we were told it was turned off improperly so it wasn't a "sleep or hybernate" problem. On the last start up it went to "Start up repair" because it couldn't start. For the price we paid this computer shouldn't be having all of these problems.

We got a new one and will be watching for any type of problems. If it happens again, we are going to take it back and insist on getting a different brand. We have always bought Dell and have had great success. This time we chose the Toshiba because our son needed a computer that could handle CAD. After reading other reviews, I am worried we made the wrong decision.

danieljosh

Hi guys, I have the same problems ass all of you, when my satellite a665 freezes, i can´t do anyhting. I bought in best buy 3 days ago and I dont what to do, Please if someone have any solution , tell us.

Thanks

OmOmSplat

I tried removing the HDD protection sensor driver and upgraded the GPU drivers from Nvidia.com. I'll see if that fixes it and get back to u :smileyhappy:

danieljosh

Hi OmOmSplat  , I have exactly the same problem as you, I bought my satellite a665 in best buy and now ihad returned to my county and i dont know what to do. I tried downloading the upragde of NVIDA and till now my laptop havent freezed up, but im not sure if it is totally fixed.

izjim

I have the same issue on an A665 S6070 running windows 7/64bit premium.  Doesn't freeze until it goes to sleep. I'm ready to return it. Any suggestions?  Thanks

OmOmSplat

hey danieljosh..it hasn't frozen on me yet either..2nd day and counting..do keep me updated on what happens with u though. u can email me directly at omomsplat@gmail.com

i'll also keep u posted with how it goes with my laptop. by any chance, did u remove the HDD Protection Sensor driver?

danieljosh

yes,  im doing what you are doing, and till now, my laptop is working perfectly without freezing, hope that the had been solved, anyway thanks man,

ill inform if it freezes again

OmOmSplat

the laptop froze on me again twice today :smileysad: the weird thing is, it froze as i was installing StarCraft II, i cuoldn't move the mouse and teh caps lock/num lock wouldn't switch on or off, but the music kept running as usual without any interruption. i'm not sure what this means..danieljosh, when u instaleld the new drivers, did u clen the old one using driversweeper first?

danieljosh

i only download the driver form nvidia, i dont errase the older one, algo i didnt disabled the hdd protection and till now my laptop has not freezed. but  now my problem is that i cant change the brightness, i dont know why :smileysad:

OmOmSplat

ya..i can't change the brightness either :smileysad:

the laptop freezes on me a couple of times a day..i'm just gonna head to the Toshiba Authorized Service Center in Egypt and hopefully they'll fix/replace it for me.

needless to say, this is the last toshiba laptop i buy!

izjim

I bought a A665 S6670 July 10th. Mouse & keyboard freeze. Thought it was from Sleep. However testing showed it happened randomly. Only cure was to hold power button til it shut down.

Took it to Best Buy. Testing showed I had a bad hard drive. They let me exchange for a new one. Had this new Satellite A665 S6670 for almost 24 hours. No problems so far. Will keep you informed. (How can I have a bad hard drive?? Oh well. If it works, it works.)

OmOmSplat

Well, i took my laptop to the Toshiba Authorized Support center here in Egypt, and it only took them a few hours to realize that the problem was a faulty motherboard. They said there's a faulty IC (Integrated Circuit) that caused the freeze when the system started getting hotter..Now i have to wait for a replacement Motherboard which will take around 2 weeks, and i'll have to pay around $100 :smileysad:

I'm extremely disappointed and about to lodge a complaint with Toshiba!