ElizabethAJacks

Thesaurus and Shift F7 not working in MS Word 2010

I've wracked my brain and resources trying to resolve this problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite, purchased just a few weeks ago and had a reputable place (Best Buy Canada) install Office 2010. Word works well with the exception of a few bugs which I think other people are experiencing too ( e.g. emailing a Word document takes three tries etc.) Another issue which is even more annoying is that I am unable to use the Thesaurus on the Ribbon or the shortcut key Shift F7. In my research, I have learned that this issue could be a problem with certain computers such as Lenovo and Toshiba. Is anyone else experiencing this issue and can you help me solve the problem?

Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Thesaurus and Shift F7 not working in MS Word 2010

Elizabeth, what happens when you start Word without add-ins? Put this into Search in the Start menu.

winword /a

And what happens when you start Word normally after you boot Windows in Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

Which computer is that?

-Jerry
ElizabethAJacks

Hi Jerry,

When I start Word without add-ins ( winword /a), I still get the message "No Thesaurus is available for English (Canada)". I'll try the other suggestion next. Thanks.

Elizabeth

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which Satellite is that? Which Windows?

-Jerry
ElizabethAJacks

Thanks, Jerry. It is a Satellite L645-014. Windows 7...I tried to work in safemode and I gave up. Holding the F8 key doesn't seem to do it - I've tried several times. BTW, I happened to be in Best Buy today and they suggested changing my location/region settings to English U.S. and reboot. I did this, but still get the same darn pop up message except it is referencing English "U.S."...I should have had my computer with me when I was in Best Buy so I will take it with me and go see them again tomorrow. (Sigh). Thanks for your continued help :smileyhappy:.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L645-014 (PSK0GC-014001)

See this discussion. Elizabeth.

Word 2010 - Proofing (Thesaurus not installing)

Let us know how it goes.

-Jerry
ElizabethAJacks

Thanks, Jerry. I will try this out and get back to you.

ElizabethAJacks

Jerry,

I took my laptop back to Best Buy and they uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2010, and solved the problem. Thanks for your ongoing help with this issue. You've been a great support. - Elizabeth

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for coming back to let us know what happened, Elizabeth. Usually a rep.

Repair your Office 2010 programs

-Jerry