igmuska

Tecra M3 IDE #1 ERROR

Is there a simple solution to this interesting error, a solution not involving a complete reinstallation of the WinXP OS (which, by the way, would not work as the IDE #1 ERROR prevents OS re-installation from the SlimBay DVD-RAM?

I've updated the BIOS, tinkered with different BIOS settings using HWSEtUP utility. I've also installed many of the downloads from the Toshiba support site.

The only time I see this error is during bootup. After the OS loads, I then just close my laptop, wait for it to go into standby, then open it, causing the OS to install the DVD-RAM drive. From this, I assume that the error is caused by the power saving function that stores the system settings.

Now for the questions:

1. Would uninstalling this power saving function fix the error?

2. Would uninstalling the secondary IDE controller fix the error?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Tecra M3 IDE #1 ERROR

See this Toshiba document.

IDE #0 Error, IDE #1 Error...

-Jerry
igmuska

I read your link. It doesn't solve the problem. I do see the possibility that the Mat**bleep**a UJ-830S might not be in the original configuration for my Tecra M3 which also then leads to me to believe that there are BIOS similiarities between the various M3 models that might include the Mat**bleep**a UJ-830S DVD-RAM device.

Since the BIOS doesn't see the Mat**bleep**a UJ-830S DVD-RAM drive, then reinstalling the OS will be impossible except for using an external CD/DVD drive for this task. In the Device Manager, the Mat**bleep**a UJ-830S is there, but only wnen using environment variable command to unhide all devices. To enable it, I have to use the "Add New Hardware" wizard or just close the laptop and open it again which then runs the "Found New Hardware" program.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It doesn't solve the problem.

the BIOS doesn't see the Mat**bleep**a UJ-830S DVD-RAM drive,..

You are apparently content with the dead optical drive.

Not sure what "problem" you are trying to solve. The message annoys you?

Or maybe I misunderstand something.

Which Tecra M3 is that?

-Jerry
igmuska

I have recently purchased a new UJ-830 DVD-RAM as well as purchasing a "pull". Both exhibit the same "IDE #1 ERROR" upon bootup.

I am also wondering whether I install the original CD-ROM driver might cause the BIOS to go through the device listing during bootup in the hopes that the BIOS might allow the OS to see the DVD-RAM drive without going through the "Add New Hardware" wizard.

I write this as result of using the environment variable command that allowed me to see all hidden devices. I noticed that there were many different models of CD-ROMS installed; all of which I uninstalled.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

The drivers don't load until Windows loads. The bios checks for and initializes your hardware devices LONG before WIndows begins to load so a driver change would have no effect on the Bios.  The problem is more than likely a loose connection to the drive or a mad controller as the link that Jerry provided states.  There is absolutely NOTHING you can do with software correct that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

igmuska

Would the ACPI settings have something to do with it? These settings are configurable only under the system BIOS, not through the Toshiba HW Setup utility which has a default "Set Up by OS" setting. Upon looking at the system BIOS from the cold/warm bootup, I see that the IRQ panel is disabled but it does show setting for the secondardy IDE IRQ as being IRQ 15.