Pete1910

System/Video BIOS Shadowed combined with RTC error 0270

Easy fix or costly? My Toshiba laptop has identified the System and Video BIOS are Shadowed combined with Real Time Clock error 0270. I am trying to find out if this is an easy fix or it will cost more than it is worth to have the laptop fixed. Was a good operating system until recently and hate to give up on it. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S165, Model PSM43U-00S00F and runs windows XP. Thanks in advance for any advise

Pete1910

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: System/Video BIOS Shadowed combined with RTC error 0270

Go into the BIos to see if the clock is way off (as in a couple of years off).  If so then it probably only needs to have the motherboard's CMOS battery replaced.  Not exactly sure where it's located on that model or what the battery number is, but it's more than likely a small button battery like a 2032 which only cost a couple of bucks.  When that battery dies the bios can't retain it's settings and the clock loses time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Pete1910

Thanks! I did notice it was February 2005; I am uncertain if the BIOS shadowed is normal or not. I am doing a little trial and error since my recent problem. The whole system is slowed down, windows maximize/minimize in slow motion as well as icons that start out as transparent and  become solid after 1 minute +. Reformatted the hard drive without installing anything or connecting any external drives to hopefully rule out a virus; no such luck.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

It probably WON'T run right until you replace that battery and reset the bios to it's proper settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Pete1910

I found the RTC and it is attached to the hard drive. A new one would have to be soldered in place of the old. If I knew the RTC was the real problem for sure I would just assume by a new hard drive for 65-76 dollars. I will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Rreplacing the hard drive won't fix the problem.  The problem isn't the RTC (Real Time CLock) anyway.  The problem is the small CMOS BATTERY that is on the motherboard and I can guarantee you it isn't connected to the hard drive, nor is the RTC.  If you look in the attached picture you'll see the batery encircled in red.  I don't have my good camera here so I can't get a real clear image of it, but you should get the drift.  It's a Maxell ML1220.

Pete1910

Okay! I am learning something here; I am going to check it out once I get a chance to take it apart. Appreciate the picture, helps to have an idea what I am looking for. By chance does the problem I described come close to effects caused by a bad battery?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

That's what we've been saying since the beginning.  Try removing the Keyboard first.  I'm betting it's going to be accessable with that removed.  That picture is from an old Gateway Pentium 3 so yours will look different.  The battery could be about the size of a US Quarter and have a number like CR2032 on it (that is a very common battery for desktop motherboards). 

Pete1910

I attempted to remove the back cover and found it was not as easy as one thinks. To avoid damage I stopped and put the screws back in. I will have to take a good look at the keyboard and see what I can come up with. Man! If this was high voltage electricity or an air conditioning unit this would be no problem. Thanks again for the helpful information.