bil6lie

Stuck on Toshiba screen on startup

My Satellite L500 was working normally for 2 years, then the other day on startup it froze on a Toshiba Leading Innovation screen. At the bottom of the screen is the option to select F2 or F12. Don't know why this came up when it hadn't before. I played around for a while to try to work out why it was doing this but couldn't work it out. Every time it starts up I get the Toshiba screen and I have to press a key to move on to the normal startup. I did a "recovery to out of box" on the laptop to try to stop this happening on every startup. My laptop is definitely back to "out of box" conditions EXCEPT that every time I start up it freezes at the Toshiba screen until I press a key to make it move on to normal startup. Can anyone please tell me how to stop this screen coming up on startup.

Thanks.

Peter

Re: Stuck on Toshiba screen on startup

Try entering the BIOS, loading default settings, and then saving the changes.

- Peter
bil6lie

Hi Peter. Thanks for that. I have to say I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to what BIOS are and what to do with them. What I did was go into the setup screen (I hit F2 from the Toshiba screen) and selected to save to defaults. I did this a few times but the problem remains.

Any other suggestions - I'd really appreciate it as it's just getting annoying now.

Many thanks.

Peter

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear, but you did exactly what I asked anyways! Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do. It sounds like a hardware failure to me, and it likely needs servicing.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
TomCat41

The F2/F12 screen Bios/setup option seems to be built into the Bios or setup? on Toshiba computers these days. On mine, the screen appears for about 5 seconds and then the machine continues the boot. If you have updated the Bios and or other programs, you may be picking it up there? I don't know where the option, if any, to delete, bypass,or change the time delay of this part of the boot process is built into the programing? If you can bypass it by just pushing a key, and everything else works OK, your best bet is to bite the bullet and live with it. I don't see how it could be a hadrware problem? If it were a bad sector on your HDD, pressing another key might be enough of a vibration to cause the process to continue? I have noticed that, on some other computer startups, it was Required that you press "any" key to continue the boot precess. Who knows?? You might, if you have not already done so, run a Full virus scan and check disk??

TC

bil6lie

Thanks Peter and TomCat41 for your replies. It's disappointing that I seem to have a problem that isn't familiar to others and I've exhausted all that can be done without giving it to a professional who would probably simply do what I already have done anyway. As you say TomCat41, paying someone to look around and probably come up with "can't help you" doesn't seem worth it as everything else does seem to work OK. I suppose I'll just have to put up with it now but I don't think I'll be purchasing another Toshiba computer.

Thanks anyway.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Don't give up yet, bil6lie. Go to Start/All Programs/Toshiba/Utilities/HWSetup.  Under the Boot Priority tab, change the boot speed from Normal to Fast. Now, when you restart, the splash screen that displays the F2 and F12 options is bypassed. If you still get a freeze, it's something else causing it.

If that solves your problem, fine.  However, you will have to remember if you ever need to select F2 or F12, you will have to either change back to normal boot through the windows method above or hold DOWN F2 or F12 upon restart.

There are no other complications I'm aware of from leaving the boot on Fast.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit