Hertford_yido

Status error 0xc00000e9 PLEASE HELP!!!

Yestarday my laptop (a satellite L450-11W) took a slight fall off my bed onto the floor. I picked it up and all seemed ok until i got this error message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to recieve this message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured

I press enter to continue and then this comes up after loading the Toshiba logo again:

Launch startup repair (recommended)

Start windows normally

Which ever one i choose the same thing happens, it will take me to a screen saying
Windows is loading files, it will fill the bar once very quickly before stopping at about a sixth of the way the second time round and will not go any further. It then takes me back to the error screen.

This is the sqme for all the f8 options such as safe mode that have been suggested in other forums and each has resulted in the exact same thing.

I had headphones plugged into it at the time which unplugged from the laptop when it fell. Also there was a CD in it at the time which wasn't running but when i took it out it appeared to be faulty.

Please help as this is starting to worry me now as i have school work due in soon,

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

Re: Status error 0xc00000e9 PLEASE HELP!!!

Wow. That's a good one! How technical do you feel? The only way to troubleshoot this one would be isolate the I/Os one at a time until the problem goes away.  I would start by Pressing F2 during boot and try to disable the USB ports in the Setup.  You could also try to disable the CD-Rom.

"My comments are my own reality" Consider these in addition to other sources. I only know what I know.
Dan
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

After Reading your post again...I got a hunch...open up the bottom Hard Drive panel and ensure that the HDD is seated properly. The new toshibas don't use any screws to secure them and a good enough fall...might be able to dislodge it enough.

Let's check the easy and obvious first....

"My comments are my own reality" Consider these in addition to other sources. I only know what I know.
Dan
Hertford_yido

I have fiddled around with the hdd, i opened it open and took it out, made sure everything was ok then put it back in but still no luck.

I also tried disabling the USB support and the CD/DVD but yet again whenever i try to select any of the options such as start windows normally etc it just stops loading the files at about a sixth of the way.

Just to clear up, the hdd is located in the bottom left of the laptop beneath the cd section and it has a silver metal case which you can slide out after unscrewing otherwise i have been fiddling about with the wrong thing.
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

So, to clarify, when you select SAFE Mode you see the screen of files loading going up the screen and then they stop with the Error prematurely?  What is the name of the last file you see loading?

Do you have another Sata HDD laying around? Also try booting without the hard drive installed.

Do you have a bootable CD-Rom laying around? Yu could try that as well.

Dan
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

I am trying to determine whether or not you have a Hard Drive / Software related issue or a MB I/O Hardware related issue. If you can get or make a bootable CD rom that would be a big help.

Try making a Hirens Boot CD.

HIRENS BOOT CD

I use it all the time.

Dan
Hertford_yido

Ok so i have craeted a Hirens boot CD and i have the hirens boot cd menu up on my laptop after pressing F12 to get to it. However, there are a lot of options for me to select so i need to know which one to select to carry on. The options are as follows:

Boot from hard drive (windows vista/2008 or xp)

Mini windows xp

Dos programs

linux based rescue environment (parted magic 6.7)

Windows memory diagnostic

Memtest86+

Ofline NT/2000/xp/vista/7 password changer

Kon-boot

Seagate discwizard (powered by acronis trueimage)

PLoP boot manager

smar boot manager 3.7.1

Fix "NTLDR is missing"

Darik's boot and nke (hard disk eraser)

Custom menu... (use HBCDcustomizer to add your files)

More...

Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

I almost alway go into Window MINI xp. If this successfully loads with out any issues...try using a Wireless mouse and insert the Dongle into each of the USB ports to see if they all work.  And the SD Card Slot...may not function as the drivers are not loaded.

If all of this is good. And obviously the DVD-Rom drive is working...then we have an issue where the Hard Drive Heads may have come into contact with the Platter and ruined the Sector with the boot data it needs to continue a normal boot cycle. 

Dan
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

Once you get the Mini XP up...there is a HDD Test utility that I use too.  I think it is called HDTune.  One of the screens allow you to do a quick scan. It should come up ALL Green. The do a detail scan, which may find more errors.

Dan
Hertford_yido

When i click on mini windows xp it reads this:

Booting mini windows xp

(cd)

chainloader /HBCD/XP/XP.BIN 

Error 25: Disk read error

Press any key to continue..._

Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

Try booting that Hirens Boot CD in another computer and select Mini Windows XP.

Dan
Hertford_yido

I tried it on my main pc and it came up with the exact same result.
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

Your Hiren's Boot CD is defective. I recognized the error and that is why I asked you to try the CD on another PC. Try burning a NEW Boot CD...use a slower burn rate...or even the slowest burn rate to endure a good copy.

Dan
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

How is that new Boot CD working out for you?

We are still trying to determine if you have a Hard Drive / Software related issue or a MB issue.

Dan
must258

[ Edited ]

i have to same problem
i tried cd with another pc , it running , but i couldn't use other pc.. 

jmp65

The disks are bad.  I confirm what others have said.  Try to copy the disk to another dvd.  I used ImgBurn

Even this did not work completely.  The first disk was read, but the 3rd disk was completely unusable.  I could not even copy it with imgburn

I also bought a new hard drive and still the same problems, so it is not a hard drive issue.  I was able to install a minimal windows version from another dvd I created so there are no hardware issues, just the recovery cd is bad

PennyPinkston

How do you disable the cd rom?
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! You are replying on a very old message. Please start your own message. After you have started your own message, someone will try to help you.

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.