fano3
Accepted Solution

Started with Disk Read Error...now Error 10-FC06-0002

My Satellite P205-S6287 running Vista Home Premium 32 bit froze and would not respond.  I held down the power button to shut down as it would do nothing.  The next time I turned it on I received the following message: "Disk Read Error Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart"   After doing this over and over with no results.  Tried using recovery disk the system came with, only to be told it cannot find or fix the problem.  I've tried everything possible with no results. I removed the hard drive and hooked up to my desktop and all my files are there and accessible so it appears my drive is ok.

Becoming tremendously frustrated and not wanting to lose my data, I bought a brand new hard drive, installed into the laptop and  decided to do a fresh, "out of the box" recovery install.  At the end of the process, I got the following error message:

Error Has Occurred  Error: 10-FC06-0002 Recovery Error.

I'm clueless as to what to do now as I figured with all hope lost, at least a full, fresh install on a new drive would be the answer; that now not being the case...I'm lost as to what to try next. If I can't get the thing fixed by completely restoring than what's left to do?

Please help....

much thanks. 

Frequent Advisor

Re: Started with Disk Read Error...now Error 10-FC06-0002

fano3 wrote:

My Satellite P205-S6287 running Vista Home Premium 32 bit froze and would not respond.  I held down the power button to shut down as it would do nothing.  The next time I turned it on I received the following message: "Disk Read Error Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart"   After doing this over and over with no results.  Tried using recovery disk the system came with, only to be told it cannot find or fix the problem.  I've tried everything possible with no results. I removed the hard drive and hooked up to my desktop and all my files are there and accessible so it appears my drive is ok.

Becoming tremendously frustrated and not wanting to lose my data, I bought a brand new hard drive, installed into the laptop and  decided to do a fresh, "out of the box" recovery install.  At the end of the process, I got the following error message:

Error Has Occurred  Error: 10-FC06-0002 Recovery Error.

I'm clueless as to what to do now as I figured with all hope lost, at least a full, fresh install on a new drive would be the answer; that now not being the case...I'm lost as to what to try next. If I can't get the thing fixed by completely restoring than what's left to do?

Please help....

much thanks. 

Support Bulletin 98082518 has this:  "ERROR :10-FC06-0002 -- may be caused by damaged recovery media or faulty hard drive." 

Since you are working with a new drive, the recovery disks are suspect.  Try cleaning them with water and a little dish detergent - a drop or two is sufficient - and wipe in a radial motion (straight from the center outward), not a circular one.  There may be a fingerprint (or two) that is causing a read error. 

If the disks are scratched, you may try polishing them with a bit of toothpaste and a paper towel, again in a radial motion.  If that fails, attempt to make copies of the disks and try the copies if you make good copies.  Often the disk copy process will retry a bad area several times, where the recovery process will just quit.

Replacement recovery disks may also be ordered from Toshiba Customer Service: (800) 457-7777.

fano3

Wow. Thank you.  I made the copy of the disc and got no error messages. It loaded everything and I then got a Toshiba screen that said it was finalizing and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING (or something to that effect).  The screen then went black where it has been that way for about 15 minutes now. Is that a normal part of the install?

Thanks again for your help. 

Frequent Advisor

fano3 wrote:

Wow. Thank you.  I made the copy of the disc and got no error messages. It loaded everything and I then got a Toshiba screen that said it was finalizing and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING (or something to that effect).  The screen then went black where it has been that way for about 15 minutes now. Is that a normal part of the install?

Thanks again for your help. 

The installs I've done with Toshiba recovery disks only take less than a minute to reboot after completion.  Fifteen minutes sounds excessive.  I'd wait another 10-15 just to be sure, and then try to restart.  Worst that would happen is that the fresh install would get corrupted, requiring another recovery.

fano3

Thanks again.  I restarted and had the same problem.  Restarting a 3rd time it all of a sudden worked and now my computer works again.  I do have another problem though as it won't recognize either my wireless connection or even the LAN connection when I plug in directly to the router....not sure what to do.
Frequent Advisor

fano3 wrote:
Thanks again.  I restarted and had the same problem.  Restarting a 3rd time it all of a sudden worked and now my computer works again.  I do have another problem though as it won't recognize either my wireless connection or even the LAN connection when I plug in directly to the router....not sure what to do.

Download and install the following drivers from your models webpage:

For the Wifi  - Intel 802.11a/b/g/n, a/b/g, b/g PCIe Mini Card driver for Vista
http://df.toshiba.com/driver_wifi_intel_v11.1.0.86_os2007146a.exe

For the LAN - Realtek 10/100 8101E/Gigabit 8111B LAN Driver for Windows Vista
http://df.toshiba.com/driver_lan_realtek_26183A.exe 

fano3

Thanks so much for all your help Rick.  That did the trick.  Can't tell you how helpful you've been.  Thanks again!
Frequent Advisor

fano3 wrote:
Thanks so much for all your help Rick.  That did the trick.  Can't tell you how helpful you've been.  Thanks again!

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.