Bryan-59

Start up window blank at start up Satellite L305D-S5900

Hello, I have a problem on Windows start up. When you turn the laptop on, first I can't seem to get rid of the boot manager screen on start up. Then when everything loads, you go to the lower left corner to open start up where your control panel and search window is  and it blinks on then goes blank, when I say blank the box is there but the contents is missing and the search window fills up with lines like this in the search box   ////////////////////////////////. The only way to get rid of this is back space then left double click then reopen the start window then everything is okay.  I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I had to replace my hard drive it crashed and this started after the new hard drive was installed. The hard drive is a WD. Thanks for any help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Start up window blank at start up Satellite L305D-S5900

[ Edited ]

Satellite L305D-S5900 

Please keep your discussion in one thread, Bryan. Let's use this one.

I can't seem to get rid of the boot manager screen on start up.

I don't know what you mean by the Boot Manager screen.

I had to replace my hard drive..

So you restored the hard drive's contents from where?

-Jerry
Bryan-59

Sorry about double post. Ok,  replaced the hard drive with a new one and I defragmented the disc after reloading windows. The problem is when I start windows at the intial start up I keep getting this screen Windows Boot Manager.  I don't know how to get rid of it. I am running Vista Home Premium. It states windows boot manager at the top and you have to tab to windows vista to choose an operating system to start,tab to select a tool , option Ram disc service options or windows memory diag.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

...after reloading windows.

I don't understand what you intend this to mean.

Did you load (install) a retail version of Window?

Or did you restore the hard disk to its original factory-new contents using Toshiba recovery media?

-Jerry
Bryan-59

Restored to out of box state.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I would restore again.

If the machine doesn't run properly just after the restore and before adding any peripherals or software, suspect a hardware malfunction.

-Jerry
Bryan-59

I did a reinstall again but everytime the computer starts I get the boot manager screen then you click on vista and everything is ok from then on. I just don't know how to get rid of that initial startup screen.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The only software that does not get replaced when you restore the hard disk to out-of-box state is the BIOS. (The master boot record (first sector on the disk) and the partition boot sector of the C drive should both be restored.) There's nothing else to change.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.90 for Sat/Sat Pro L355D/L305D (PSLE0U, PSLC0/1U)

-Jerry
Bryan-59

I replaced hard drive because it crashed and since the new hard drive replacement and the recovery of windows, the boot manager window pops up first on windows start up and I can't get it to stop and go directly to windows.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You already told me that.

Did you flash the BIOS?

-Jerry
Bryan-59

[ Edited ]

I flashed the bios but no luck, Thanks for your help so far Jerry.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Restored to out of box state.

I can't seem to get rid of the boot manager screen on start up.

Myatery to me why a full restore would not fix things related to Windows startup.

Let's try this.  Turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

On the Advanced Boot Options menu, choose Repair Your Computer.

When you reach the System Recovery Options menu, choose Startup Repair.

-Jerry
Bryan-59

I have tried that already and it says no problems found BUT also says if you have attached a camera or something to disconnect and try again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You don't tell me what you've tried in the Recovery Environment. So I don't know what to say.

-Jerry