Occasional Contributor
Rectifier

Start-up problems with Toshiba Satellite

Hi,

I'm having a problem starting up my Toshiba Satellite (A105-S4074).

The computer developed this problem suddenly.  When I press the power button, the power status lights turns on, the fan starts, the CD-ROM starts (and continues to spin), the wireless light turns on, the keyboard lights flash, the hard drive light turns on for about 1 second and the hard drive is definitely spinning.

However, the screen doesn't turn on and the computer doesn't boot.  After reading around a few threads I saw a bizarre recommendation to press down on the keyboard while starting it.  I thought it was crazy but I tried it for fun... and it works!  If I push down on the keyboard fairly hard and hold it, the computer boots every time.  If I take off the pressure before Windows finishes booting the computer freezes.

After that, I realized that the computer also boots if I hold it upside down until it loads to the desktop. 

After booting, however, I'm having problems with the computer freezing.

Any idea what might be loose that is causing this behavior?  I'd like to tighten it down and have a fully functional computer again!

Occasional Contributor
BloodyRon

Re: Start-up problems with Toshiba Satellite

How do you usually turn off your laptop?

Signature left blank intentionally
Occasional Contributor
Rectifier

BloodyRon wrote:

How do you usually turn off your laptop?

95% of the time we just close it and let it hibernate.

Occasional Contributor
BloodyRon

Not shuttingdown the laptop properly could mess the system. If Try to shutdown the laptop everytime your not going to use it and if it still didn't work you do a system recovery. After you're done doing the system recovery, make it habit to shutdown your laptop.

Signature left blank intentionally
Occasional Contributor
Rectifier

Thank you Ron.

However, my problem is that the laptop won't start unless I hold it upside down or press my hand against the keyboard.  I don't think that would be caused by letting the computer hibernate.

Karan_Takhar

Guys ! I have the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I have tried changing the HDD and still the problem did not go away. 

Regular Advisor
gingmag

You don't have to shut down the laptop everytime you don't use it, that's a crock.

Weiner dogs at large.
Karan_Takhar

What is the solution now ?