robear38

Sony Pro Duo memory stick stuck

My situation is basically identical to that posted by Tenet on April 27th, but he had no replies, so I am posing it again...

In an incredibly stupid moment, I inserted my Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo into the memory-card slot on my A105 S4334 laptop and it is now stuck deeply inside the slot and I can't get it out.  Has anyone had this happen and was successful in getting it out?  If so, how?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Robear38

Celandil

Re: Sony Pro Duo memory stick stuck

Well. Not that I've ever had this happen to me before, but I think I can think of a solution. Now it may not work, because I'm throwing this outta the top of my head. But what you could do is take one of those little bobby pin things that chicks use in their hair. They are really nice, because they are skinny and narrow but have long reach. So try to stick it in there, and use it like tweezers to try and pull the card out. Hope I helped! :smileywink:

marvinh

[ Edited ]

Robear38

Did you insert the 1/2 size memory stick or did you insert it in a Sony Adaptor (to make it full size) before inserting it?

Marvin

robear38

It was the half size.

robear38

Celandil wrote:

Well. Not that I've ever had this happen to me before, but I think I can think of a solution. Now it may not work, because I'm throwing this outta the top of my head. But what you could do is take one of those little bobby pin things that chicks use in their hair. They are really nice, because they are skinny and narrow but have long reach. So try to stick it in there, and use it like tweezers to try and pull the card out. Hope I helped! :smileywink:

I've tried the "bobbie-pin approach but not using it like tweezersI'll work on thatActually, I think the only thing holding it in is a copper-looking wire (spring?) that I seem to have broken with my efforts so farNo doubt I've trashed the slot mechanism, so at this point I'm just trying to get my card backI'm a little wary of taking the back off the computer in the hope I can get at it from inside, but I've thought about it.

Johnnyh64

I did the exact same thing with my laptop within the first 15 minutes of owning it.  I looked at the quick start guide and realized it was a card reader, I inserted my card and later started cursing as I realized just how deeply the card was stuck in the slot.  Toshiba should make a warning that it doesn't accept Pro Duo Memory sticks! 

Anyway, I got mine out with two steak knives sandwiching the card and pulling out.  I don't think I ruined anything but it was difficult at first  until I tried the steak knives.  This worked well for me.  Good luck!!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Why do they need to make such a warning?  Since they didn't state that it DOES support one it's the user's responsibility to not put one in. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
PC-3Kendu

cee_64 wrote:

Why do they need to make such a warning?  Since they didn't state that it DOES support one it's the user's responsibility to not put one in. 

What kinda sh!t is that?  If These Memory stick pro duo's are produced, people buy em, and expect there Hardware to be compatible with the technology.  Obviously its a mistake to put them into the **bleep** computers because theyre too small.  But I bet even as I type this message, someone is making the same mistake.  SO YES LET IT BE KNOWN TO PEOPLE WHO SPEND THEIR MONEY, THAT THIS CARD WILL NEED AN ADAPTER OR IT WILL GET STUCK. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.  Thats just a few extra words in the user manual.  WTH is wrong witchu (cee_64).   lol, Go lay down somewhere

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but people need to accept responsibility for their actions.  ASSUMING that something will fit doesn't cut it.  One needs to check to see if it DOES prior to inserting it.  It's attitudes like yours where they expect that a company lists every possible item that doesn't work that are flawed.  Toshiba is totally blameless in this as they accurately stated the types of cards that are supported. If the user doesn't bother to read the manual first before inserting a card that isn't supported they do so at their own risk.  You are wrong, but people like you aren't intelligent enough or mature enough to admit it. 

And try taking something like that to court.  You would be laughed out in a heartbeat. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

IamBarb

I admit I made the mistake of slipping the Sony MMS into my card reader on my Toshiba Satellite. After reading the suggestions I tried the steak knife trick. No joy. I then tried the very thin Swiss Army long knifes on both top and bottom, checking to see that none of the wire contacts were hung up, gave the 2 knives a pull and SUCCESS. Thank you for posting the solutions to this problem. Saved me tearing my Toshiba apart.