Kaitie09

Screen goes black with vertical lines

Every time I play The Sims3, the screen will go black and there will be vertical lines running though it. I will end up having to hold the power button down to restart it. It will go black anywhere from 5min in to 2hrs in. There is now warning. I though it was an overheating issue, so I went and cleaned the fans, and bought a cooling station. I have the little legs up so the laptop is raised about 2 inches off the desk. I also removed the battery because that was gettign extremely hot.

I do not know how to get to BIOS and change the fans, but they seem to constantly be running as hard as they can. Also, I cannot figure out how to get the thing that displays the internal temperature while the game is running so that I can tell if it really is overheating. I have a 2008 Qosmio x305.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Screen goes black with vertical lines

There are about 18 different Qosmio x305 models. We need your full model name/number, like Qosmio X305-Q701, and your model's Part Number, like PQX32U-01Q017. In addition, we need to know the OS version you are running like Windows 7 64 bit.

Also, click on 'Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Utilities -  PC Diagnostic Tool'.  Tell us what BIOS Version you have and what the 'Version' is beside your video card.

You should be able to get to the BIOS by pressing the 'F2' key as soon as you see the Toshiba logo as you power on your unit. But, I'm not sure what you can adjust in there for your fan's operation. You could install SpeedFan to check on temperatures.

SpeedFan

Mike