osbournerocker
Accepted Solution

Screen Goes Blank

I have a Satellite P205-S6337 running vista, when I boot it up it goes to login in screen allows me to sign in, starts to load.  But, before it loads the screen goes blank no cursor even, and then after a minute or two the computer shuts off.  I have tried to system restore - does not work, I have tried the last known good configuration - does not work.  Not sure what else I should try or what is causing this.

Any ideas let me know.

Thanks,

Devon

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Screen Goes Blank

Satellite P205-S6337

I have tried to system restore - does not work, I have tried the last known good configuration - does not work.

What do you mean by System Restore, Devon? Be specific about what you did and what happened.

Did you use F8 to reach the startup-options menu and try Repair from there?

-Jerry
MAC123

My computer is having a similar issue.  When I close my computer without shutting it down and it has been closed for a little hwile (hour or two), I open it and the screen will not "wake up".  I have tried ctrl/alt/del but that doesn't wake it up either.  I had to remove the battery and reinstall it to get it to "wake up.  This can't be good for the computer and I'm very disappointed since I've only had this computer for three days.  I have problems with the mouse freezing as well.  This computer has, so far, not responded as well as I had hoped.  This is our third Toshiba laptop and I've not had problems like this with any of the others.  HOwever Ive never run Vista before either.  :smileyindifferent:

This is a 64-bit vista version and a 4gb memory machine.  I really am not impressed at this point and am hoping it is simply a setting somewhere.

osbournerocker

i actually solved it this morning. I had a virus in my Adobe reader and had to manually delete it in safe mode and now it seems to run like normal again and virus scan no longer detects it.

Otherwise I haven't had any problems with it in the year and a half i've had it and i'm really liking the Toshiba.

Devon

Regular Advisor
Ryan6491

MAC123,

Can you wake it up by pressing the power button?  That's how I would usually do it, although I almost always shut it down completely.

Other settings you might want are in Control Panel -> Power Options.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to hear you found it. Probably lots of the stuff people report here are due to malware.
-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Constable

How did you find the virus? And how did you delete it?

My computer shuts down unexpectedly (I posted it)

osbournerocker

I started in safe mode with networking capabilities usign F8 on start-up.  I then downloaded avast.  set it to the most thourogh (sp?) setting and let it run.  when it found the file i tried to quarentine it, when it wouldnt work i cut my loses and deleted th file myself.  don't know if i should have but i did, but so far so good *knock on wood*