scottdr36
Accepted Solution

Sattelite C75d-a7213 buzz then screen turns black forced to power cycle

I have the same exact problem as http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?soid=1991432  but my model is not listed,  I did not see any new bios for this model. 

excerpt from site link: The computer 'locks up' (becomes completely unresponsive), and the computer's display goes blank (turns off).

Normal operation is restored if the computer is turned off (by holding down the power switch for several seconds) and then turned back on, but the problem may happen again.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: Sattelite C75d-a7213 buzz then screen turns black forced to power cycle

Hi!! If you don't see a new BIOS up date, then there probably isn't one. Power cycle or restart is always a way to get your PC to boot, but that doesn't mean you have a problem with the BIOS. I suggest doing a clen boot and see if you can locate your problem that way.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
scottdr36

[ Edited ]

Ill try , but its the exact same issue as the other model and it was a bios problem.  not even a blue screen error.

a210 and mine have the AMD cpu, so base mother board is proabbly the same or close.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Bios up dates scare me and would be the last thing I tried because if some thing goes wrong, you have door stop on your hands. That is just MHO:smileywink:

This is not mine. It's a quote from Google.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

dont update your bios unless you need to. Every time you do a bios update there is some risk of you leaving your mobo unuseable. If you are carefull it is fairly safe but why take the risk for no reason??
I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Regular Advisor
bmurray

If your computer part number is not listed amung those in the post you linked to, then that doesn't apply to you.

If you have the most recent bios on your computer then there is nothing to update to.  Have to look for a solution somewhere else.  If not, and you are preparing to do a bios update, please for the love of Pete, backup your system in case something goes wrong. Make an image and do not rely on your recovery disks (which you should have made anyway).

Updating bios is straight forward process, but if for some reason you interrupt the process before it finishes and you bork the update, you'll brick your computer and that is very bad.  Just make sure you are plugged into an outlet that is not connected to a wall switch that can be accidently turned off during the process.  Follow the directions in your manual to the tee and you should be fine. 

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

"If not, and you are preparing to do a bios update, please for the love of Pete, backup your system in case something goes wrong. Make an image and do not rely on your recovery disks (which you should have made anyway)."

Hi! Always good advise; however I might be wrong, if your BIOS up date goes wrong you have a door stop. I don't think a back up image will do you any good. I could be wrong about that and I never mind being corrected. That's the way I learn new things.:smileywink:

Dokie!!

PS Thanks for helping on the forum bmurray

Regular Advisor
bmurray

habitual.  like disconnecting the battery before doing work on my car. 

You are correct in that if the bios update fails then the backup image will not return it to life.  but you at least have the image which is better than not. 

scottdr36

[ Edited ]

Thanks for Everyones help.

I did  a  clean boot and it still happens , exact same symptom as the link in my post.

I think I need to let you all know I am a server hardware/software support/administrator engineer.  Ive been in the industry for over 11 years. 

Im also a vmware engineer , windows server Enterprise admin also.  :smileyhappy:  

So I know all there is to know about bios updating , been doing it for years. :smileyhappy:

just because this part # is not on the list doesnt mean there is not a bios problem not yet discovered. I think its just a matter of time before toshiba realizes a bios update similar to the other post needs to be  created. the bios latest bios update is actually the original bios firmware version

I probably be calling in a support ticket to get this resolved.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Wow! I'm impressed. You should have no problem solving your problem:smileywink:

"I think I need to let you all know I am a server hardware/software support/administrator engineer.  Ive been in the industry for over 11 years. 

Im also a vmware engineer , windows server Enterprise admin also.    

So I know all there is to know about bios updating , been doing it for years."

I'm wondering why you even asked us newbies for help. Please post back when you have a solution.

Dokie!!:smileywink:

scottdr36

[ Edited ]

yea when they get a bios upgrade to fix this ill let ya know.   there is just so much i can do.  

was hoping toshiba engineers with more knowledge than me would check these forums,  gues i need to call them

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Toshiba engineers don't hang out here. We are just a bunch of Toshiba owners that try our best to solve problems for other Toshiba owners. I don't have a real life, so I hang out here way to much. I take the punishment from smart aXX teenagers on the night shift and the week ends ;that have no respect for anyone, not even them selves. I love passing on what I have learned from others. The teenies get on my nerves some times. It's been over 56 years sense I was a teeny bopper. I'm sure I was a pain in the axx also. You have a great day. I hope you get your problem solved. Come back and share it with us.

Dokie!!:smileywink:

Regular Advisor
bmurray

nope, this is peer-to-peer.  there is a Toshiba rep who pops in from time to time (Peter).  good luck

rotorhead22

Having the same issue even after flashing the BIOS. IT's a pita issue when I am trying to edit my GoPro stuff. Have you been able to figure something out?

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258308/should_i_update_my_bios_.html

"Some goos reading if your determined to up date the BIOS.

Dokie! I liked these comment!

I updated my BIOS recently. When I told my brother (who works in IT) that I did this, his first question was, "What was wrong with your computer?"

I told him nothing was wrong. I just thought I should have everything updated. He said that philosophy doesn't apply to the BIOS. I now agree with him.

It turns out that updating my BIOS did cause a temporary problem, which scared me. It changed the video setting back to onboard. This meant that it wasn't using video card I had my monitors hooked up to.

Not a difficult fix. I just swapped the monitor port, fixed the BIOS setting, and swapped it back.

But it was frightening to say the least. I have learned my lesson.

My brother said that in 15+ years in IT he has never come across a need to upgrade a BIOS. Never."

Regular Advisor
bmurray

for whatever reason your loosing the video signal.  could be a hardware issue with the graphics processor or something as simple as a cable come loose.  First you need to figure out if it is hardware or software.  Easiest way to do that is to restore back to out-of-box state.  Before doing that you should back up all your personal data.  I like to make an image and save to external drive.  If you still experience the issue when restored, it is likely hardware.  At that point it is a game of process of ellimination. 

scottdr36

[ Edited ]

Well,  they finally released a bios update and i updated  2 weeks ago and WALA  no more issues,  I even left it on in a game and a movie for a full day with no issues.    Never was able to do that even for a n hour. 

Oh and P.S.    I just bought a $2000 fangbook.  I just didnt have the gaming power i needed with this toshiba.

Will be selling the ole gal on ebay in a few days for 300-400,  cost new at BJs for 500.  

ITS GAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!   I just hope i dont have to wait for another bios upgrade for the new fangbook  ROFL ROFL LMFAO.

Regular Advisor
bmurray

that is good news.  enjoy your new toy :smileyhappy:  and good luck with the sale of the sattelite

scottdr36

The new Fangbook is awesome.   ultra high on elderscrolls skyrim.    just in time too because this toshiba just died on me and back to the repair depot it goes.   and sold ehrn it returns :smileysad: