kbriefcase

Satellite p305d s8900 no screen, not booting

One day my laptop is running fine, the next nothing. When I turn it on, there is no screen whatsoever (not even a command prompt)and it makes no attempt to boot. It does turn on, but only the lights on the keyboard and the fan come on. On the front edge of the keyboard, the power, battery, and plugged in lights come on however the light that shows that the hard drive is working doesn't. I've tried F8, F10, esc, and ctrl-alt-del on start up and none of those tricks work. Also tried unplugging it and removing the battery for an extended time then reinstalling with no luck. I'm no IT guy, by any means, but I fear my motherboard is fried. Is this the case or are there any other things I can try?

k8_fan

Re: Satellite p305d s8900 no screen, not booting

[ Edited ]

I have a client with a P305D-S8828 exhibiting the exact same symptoms. No boot, no external video, no HD light. Toshiba's tech support was useless. The interesting fact is that we both had the same problem that cropped up with no warning at the same time on near-identical models.

alabamajenks

Not that my saying "Me too!" helps that much, but "Me too." I am working on a friend of mine's machine; same model. It will not wake-up. I am going to try re-seating the HD. Maybe the video card has wiggled loose. I am grasping at straws.

m11worth

Grasping for you as well, but my A505 did the same thing, hooked up an external monitor and worked fine, also found the display worked when the lid was only partially  opened, but stopped when opened fully! That find was purely accidental, but interesting nonetheless. Tech support near useless....and repair is only allowed at one of their infamous depots. No more Toshibas for me!!! I was spoiled with my first one I guess. Curious if this helps.

faithcami

Same thing! Am currently attempting to replace system board. Please let me know if you know what the problem is! Seems as if this is a common thing. Very frustrating. My repair guy is suggesting replacing the whole laptop!

Please someone let me know.

stevenwwoods1 at hotmail dot com.

Occasional Contributor
Maczter31

Gentlemen,

I have one solution. If ever your Laptop is not pushing thru desktop, try doing System Recovery. . .

If there is no Screen Display at all and your still in warranty call the Toshiba Tech. Support and request for a Repair Order. . . However,if you do no longer have the warranty, please visit this website www.toshibarepairservices.com.

Hope this might help your query. . .

:manhappy:

Occasional Contributor
agentorange96

I had this issue a few weeks ago and I ended up figuring out my problem. It turned out that my RAM had dust in it. I removed the RAM, (this isn't hard to do usually) blew out the RAM slots, reinserted the RAM, and it worked. I have no idea if the same problem would be affecting you, but it's worth a shot.

ryanlamprecht

Same exact problem with my P305D S8828. Turns on, can hear fan, DVD drive, etc... but does not even attempt to boot up the hard drive, and screen remains black. I tried the same things you had tried, removed battery held down power button, etc... I even tried what another poster said worked for him, removed RAM blew out any dust, and replaced RAM, but still no solution. Have you found the solution to this problem? If anyone knows, please let me know or email me at ryanlamprecht@yahoo.com

Occasional Contributor
rock10

It's happen to me, too. What I did, I shout off the computer and wait the computer cool off. Then restart with power button. It's work. These machines are getting old and need to clean up the cooling system. It's happen when computer was extreme hot. On the web, just typed in "how to clean a cooling system with model number." They will show you step by step. After that I do not have a problem. Good luck!