01gringo

Satellite boot up problem

Hi all , hope someone can help!

Left my laptop running for around 6hrs, and when i returned the screen was blank. I restarted the machine and i got the message:

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM

Operating System not found.

I checked out the securecore setup utility and in the section under boot I've got:

CD/DVD     HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT30N-(S5)         This is written in white

FDD                                                                 This is written in blue

LAN                                                                  Again in blue

tried blowing out all vents with air but still no joy!

any ideas how to resolve this situation, I'm at a loss.

Regards

John

Occasional Contributor
accessoriesguy

Re: Satellite boot up problem

It may be possible your hard drive went bad, although unlikely.

The only time I have ever really experienced anything with ROM files had to do with the motherboard.  Restart the computer, boot from FDD, tell me what it says.  But if I had to guess because of what it says its starting to sound like a motherboard issue.  It is hard to tell without inspecting it.

When you boot up your computer does it have a system check option you can run ?

01gringo

Thanks for replying

I have tried booting from FDD, but no joy. I don't see any option for a system check.

Just the usual F2 and F12 when the toshiba logo pops up. Then it's straight to the error message.

Regards

John

Occasional Contributor
accessoriesguy

alright, don't take my word for it, but since the computer dies after the boot but before the loading of the hard drive I can only guess it is the motherboard.

I can not give you a more accurate reading without checking it out myself.  I know some mother drives have a way to reformat them, although that does not always work, and a special "flashing" method must be done in order to restore it. 

I don't think the hard drive is bad since it does not load from the hard drive, and if the connection to the hard drive was messed up it would not come up on the options menu.  So it is safe to say the hard drive is fine.

If the motherboard is bad, and remember this is on speculation since I did not inspect the computer, it can be costly to repair.  I recomend finding a recomended local repair shop.  It's cheaper then best buy and likely better.  Beware of people on craigslist I have seen terrible jobs happen too many times. 

best of luck to you!

01gringo

Well, I've only had the laptop since febuary, so I'll have to look into the warranty and see if it's covered. Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards

John