Occasional Advisor
DaddyL
Accepted Solution

Satellite Will Not Boot From a CD or DVD

I have the Satellite L955-S5370 with Windows 8 pre-installed. This laptop will not boot from any bootable CD or DVD, including a Windows 8 repair disc made by Windows 8. There are only two exceptions: 1) it will boot Toshiba's "recovery" disc; and, 2) it will boot a Windows 8 installation disc. The computer will not boot any other bootable disc. The error message says:

"System doesn't have any CD/DVD boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu."

That's what the message says, bad grammar and all. When I select "OK" to this message I am brought to the usual F12 screen where you choose the boot device order. My optical disc drive is right up there as the first boot device.

Secure Boot is disabled - no help.

How do I make this computer boot from the optical disc drive?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite Will Not Boot From a CD or DVD

Satellite L955-S5370

I thought you had this one figured out!

Here's my boiler plate for those who want to downgrade to Windows 7. Nobody has complained about it so far.

-------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

In order to boot using UEFI from the Windows 7 installation media, follow this procedure.

-Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.

-Power on and press F2 while the Toshiba logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.

-Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".

-Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."

-Press F10 to save and exit.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
DaddyL

"Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off."

That's another problem (about which I made a separate post): I can completely power off for about 5 seconds, then my computer automatically powers on!

"Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."

In my computer, UEFI Boot Mode is locked to EFI Boot.

This just sucks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

In my computer, UEFI Boot Mode is locked to EFI Boot. This just sucks.

Something certainly wrong there. Nobody has said anything about that.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
DaddyL

First: I read elsewhere on the internet (for whatever that's worth) that booting in UEFI mode requires a different type of boot loader, so a disk created to boot a BIOS-based computer won't boot a UEFI-based computer. If true, that might explain why none of my existing boot discs or drives boot my laptop.

Can someone confirm this? If true, your SOL if you have a UEFI-based computer and need to boot from a disc or drive. You'll just have to wait until your backup, partitioning, malware scanning, etc. software developers come up with a UEFI-based boot disc.  It would also explain the error message I described in my first post "System doesn't have any CD/DVD boot option."

Second: Also from the internet (for whatever that's worth), you need to boot your computer from the same boot mode that was used to install your OS. So if Toshiba installs Win8 in UEFI mode, I have to boot in UEFI mode or I won't be able to access the OS and my laptop will simply hang at startup.

Can someone confirm this? If true, that might explain why Toshiba locked my boot method to "UEFI Boot".

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The UEFI that Toshiba uses can simulate a BIOS. That's the function of the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Boot in my instructions above:

Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."

As we've established in another thread, your machine is sick. That probably accounts for this difficulty as well.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
DaddyL

Just as a little FYI is this somewhat amusing thread from Microsoft Answers. Apparently, our friends in Redmond also got taken by surprise. Ah, life on the edge of a developing technology!

Anybody gotten the DVD to boot UEFI?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yeah, it's interesting. Microsoft goofed: KB2793441

From that thread..

the Windows 7 install DVD (burned locally) boots to UEFI

I haven't seen anybody in this forum report that for a Toshiba machine.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
DaddyL

VICTORY

I am pleased to announce that I have a solution to all my problems. I don't understand why the solution works...I very much want to know why the solution works, but I'll work on that later.

Recap of my 3 problems: 1) Windows repair disc doesn't boot the computer; 2) No bootable disc boots my computer, except for a Windows 8 install disc and Toshiba's 3-disc recovery set; and 3) The computer powers itself on after a complete shutdown. Clearly, #1 and #2 are the same problem.

One of my troubleshooting steps was to disable Secure Boot. After disabling Secure Boot, I discovered that I was able to change the boot mode from EFI Boot to CSM. In CSM mode I can boot just about any disc I want - no surprise - but I can't boot into Windows 8.

That much I understand: If an operating system was installed in EFI mode, it can only be booted in EFI mode. It can't boot in CSM mode, just like you can start a Toyota with a Honda key. You're talking about two different boot methods. For the same reason, a computer in EFI mode can't boot an otherwise bootable disc or drive created for BIOS booting.

Booting with Secure Boot disabled may not be the best idea. Maybe it's something I'll only do if I need to boot from a BIOS-based disc or drive, since it unlocks CSM boot. Eventually, bootable discs and UFD's will be created in EFI mode (perhaps in addition to BIOS mode, for backward compatibility.)

Here's the part I don't understand: In CSM boot mode, I can completely shut down my laptop and it stays powered off! This may mean that there is some setting in EFI mode that restarted my computer. Or maybe not. It's something I'll have to research.

"What a long, strange trip it's been" the Grateful Dead would say. Thanks for putting up with all my posting. And thanks for the help you've provided along the way.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: VICTORY

What kind of victory is that? I'm not sure I learned much if anything.

1. The advice I give all over the forum for booting the Windows 7 installation DVD is right on. And it works for other bootable discs too.

2. The reboot problem remains unresolved.

I'm happy you feel victorious. 

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
DaddyL

Sorry to disappoint you, Ace Advisor.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Looking foward to resolution of the reboot problem. I thought we'd decided it was a bug.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
DaddyL

I have diagnosed my problem. It's not solved, but at least I know what is happening. See my new thread Satellite Fails to Shutdown With Canvio Drive Attached.

MrDavidOgle

This worked perfectly for me.  I did it exactly as Jerry_Lippey explained and it did boot from a Windows 7 installation disk.   Thank you Jerry!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome, David. Good luck!

-Jerry