rainbowcarnage

Satellite U405D - S2852 Blank screen

I have a Satellite U405D - S2852. Last night, I tried to shut it down as normal, but it froze on the shutdown screen. I gave up, closed the lid and went to sleep. In the middle of the night, it was making hard drive spinning noises. I got up, opened the laptop and tried to switch it off. It wouldn't switch off. The noise was keeping me awake, so I took out the battery. 

In the morning, I tried to switch on the laptop. The power comes on, but that's it. Not even the Toshiba logo. Can't hear the normal starting up sounds.

Any idea what's wrong with it? Is the motherboard fried? Is there any way I can fix the problem at home? I've tried the usual combinations of taking out the battery, holding down the power button, etc. No luck.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite U405D - S2852 Blank screen

Satellite U405D-S2852

Sometimes this brings laptops back from the dead. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the power-on switch for half-a-minute.

-Jerry
rainbowcarnage

Thank you for your reply. I tried holding down the power button, but it didn't work.

There's a new development. I tried switching it on and off several times throughout the day. One time, it miraculously came on and booted up, just like normal. It was as if there was nothing wrong with it. I used it for a couple of hours without any problems. Then I went out. When I got back, it was dead again, the same as this morning.

Does that mean the motherboard is fine? Is it just a loose connection somewhere?

I wish I knew what brought it back to life. I didn't do anything different.

Thank you, again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Sounds like an intermittent hardware failure. The only way to tell for sure is to restore the hard disk to its original factory-new contents from Toshiba recovery media.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry