AGinc

Satellite P755-S5120 Freezing on Startup

I have only had my laptop for a couple months now and it has worked greatly until now. The other day I got on it and a Toshiba software update popped up, which was a BIOS update. I did it and it said you have to restart, which I clicked yes. It went through the update and went to restart, when Windows 7 screen with the logo came up it froze and stays there. I tried to reboot and it gave me two options to start normally or run a system repair. The system repaid just goes to a black screen and does nothing. I tried to hit F8 on bootup and tried to boot from the last good boot and Windows still froze. I am guessing Windows 7 has a problem with an update of sorts. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Goblink

Re: Satellite P755-S5120 Freezing on Startup

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have the same story. I also have a Satellite P755-S5120 with part no PSAY1U-0DV026<ES5.07> My laptop has been working fine since purchasing it months ago and after doing the BIOS update this morning I cannot get my computer to boot. I also cannot get the BIOS menu (I can't access the F2 BIOS Menu feature on the Toshiba logo as it doesn't get to that point). It gets stuck on loading windows phase of bootup or if tried from safe mode or other trouble shooting bootups it just gets a black screen.

I've also tried holding escape on power up for 3 seconds to try to press f1 to get to BIOS but I never get the F1 option.

Any help appreciated, Zach.

Goblink

After contacting support, I have to send in my machine to have the system board replaced.

I did want to ask anyone for advice about Data Recovery options, hopefully affordable, as I don't have all of my data backed up. Thanks, Zach.

AGinc

Thanks for letting me know that. Are they going to replace your board for free or is there a cost with it? I am worried about all my files as well.

AGinc

Check out this forum. I posted it in the Windows 7 too and I got a response and it worked for me, so definitely try it out. http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7/Freezing-on-Windows-Startup/m-p/344424/highlight/false#M10272

Goblink

Thank you very much for linking me to your other topic! As I said over there, I was on my way to the post office but figured I would check forums real quick to be sure. Amazing... really saves my butt with my college work.

Just wanted to answer your last questions too if you were curious. They told me they would cover the costs except shipping it to them. (they said they had to replace the system board) They also said they would not be responsible for data. They also said impossible to roll back a bios update.

Anyway, thanks again a whole lot. This gives me more faith in internet humanity! -Zach

Occasional Contributor
xresx

Try disabling "Fast Boot" in the Bios. I have seen several of these lock up and Disabling Fast boot and setting the boot spped to Normal seems to fix it.

eyeorewolf

If you're having trouble getting into the BIOS after updating to 2.70 try this. Hold the ESC key down then hit the power button,,, after the screen flashes once tap the F2 key or maybe hold it and you might, I say "might" get the BIOS to come up. This is ridiculous at this day and age. In 30+ year of using, repairing and maintaining PCs this flash crash was a first for me. Good Luck Everyone! Hang on to that $50 to $100 Toshiba wants to charge you for fixing their issue.