luckharm

Satellite Laptop - Problems Connecting to TV Via HDMI Port

Recently, I purchased a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite C855-S5247) specifically to connect it to my HD TV to watch movies, TV shows, etc.  The first time I connected the HDMI cord from the laptop to the TV, it worked right away and I was thrilled.  However, ever since, it now works maybe one out of five tries.  I have to keep disconnecting the HDMI cord from the laptop and reconnecting it, and maybe on the 5th try I will magically see the laptop desktop on my TV screen.  The other times, I see the message, "Weak or no signal".

I have tried connecting to the HDMI2 port thinking that the HDM1 port on my TV was bad, but got similar results.  I tried using a different HDMI cord and got the same results.  I connected the laptop to another TV and it worked right away, but then the first time I connected to my big TV it worked right away also.

So, I know it works, but it is inconsistent and it is driving me crazy!

I would appreciate any suggestions that would make this work consistently.

Thank You,

Margie

Peter

Re: Satellite Laptop - Problems Connecting to TV Via HDMI Port

Have you tried tapping the F4 key to cycle through the various video output modes?

- Peter
luckharm

Yes, Peter, I have tried pressing the F4 key to cycle through the 4 options and I always choose "mirror".  It does not seem to help.  I have read in some other posts that the HDMI ports on Toshiba laptops seem to be problamatic and now, I am wondering if this is the way it's going to be.  I am just afraid that one time, I will keep trying by connecting and disconnecting the HDMI cord and it will never work.  I am also afraid that by doing this I will damage the port.

Thank you for your help.  Any other suggestions?

Peter

Try reinstalling a few things.

Toshiba Value Added Package(v1.6.0021.640203; 12-28-2011; 104.85M)

Intel Display Driver(v8.15.10.2639; 02-06-2012; 155.82M)

If that doesn't help, you may want to contact customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
luckharm

Peter,

I decided to buy another, more expensive HDMI cord first and that did the trick.  Now, when I connect my laptop via the new HDMI cord, the desktop consistently shows up on my HD TV.  I had tried to save money and bought a cheap cord initially.  I guess, in this case, going for the better cord is worth the price.

I hope this helps others who are having a similar problem.

Margie

Peter

Thanks for the information, Margie. Was there any indication of the type of cord besides price that could differentiate the one that worked from the one that didn't?

- Peter
luckharm

No Peter, there was no indication except the price.  The first one cost $10 and the second one that worked better cost $41.  Go figure!

Margie

Peter

That's disappointing! I can imagine that was a bit frustrating. Thanks for the information!

- Peter
luckharm

Peter,

I need to sadly report, that the new cord did not solve the problem.  After a while the old behavior returned.  The HDMI connection worked 1 out of 5 times.  So,  I called TOSHIBA Customer Support and they were not able to help me.  My Display drivers were up to date so updating those was useless.  The only thing they could offer was to call SAMSUNG, the manufacturer of my HD TV.  So,  I decided to look through the TV manual first, and that is where I found my solution.  In the TV manual it said to turn off both devices first and then, with the HDMI cord attached, first turn on the TV and cycle the Source to HDMI2 and then turn on the PC / Laptop.  When I did these steps inthis order it worked consistently.  I tried this sequence several times and it worked each time.  I am so happy and I hope this is helpful to others.  I am now returning the expensive cord, because it works fine with the ooriginal, cheaper cord.

Peter

Thanks for returning to let us know! That's good information. I'm sure it'll help others in the future. Sorry you had to buy an unneeded cord! I hope you can return it without any problems.

- Peter