nlk10010

Satellite Laptop Hard Drive Vibration Warning

I just received my S300EZ1512 laptop.

When I boot the machine up I will usually receive a message to the effect that Hard Drive Vibration was detected and the heads were being parked to avoid damage. This warning pops up when I insert a DVD OR when I type or tap the housing gently. Note: while his is occurring the laptop is on a solid desktop, plugged into the wall.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a simple fix or should I contact Toshiba and have them swap the computer out?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Norman

JTom

Re: Satellite Laptop Hard Drive Vibration Warning

Hey Norman sounds Like your Dvd/cd rom has failed, could be the heads loose. Doent sound like a software problem. sound s like you have to take it to a tech and replace the Dvd/Cd rom unit.
Occasional Advisor
1shado1

JTom wrote:
Hey Norman sounds Like your Dvd/cd rom has failed, could be the heads loose. Doent sound like a software problem. sound s like you have to take it to a tech and replace the Dvd/Cd rom unit.

Doubtful.  Sounds like the HDD has issues, not the dvd/cd drive.  Re-read the original post.
nlk10010

I understand both of your responses. It's kind of confusing: when the machine FIRST boots up I SOMETIMES don't see the warning: then, when I insert a DVD I see it and afterwards it occurs when I tap the housing.

So yes, it COULD be the DVD drive or it COULD be the hard drive, or both. Since I JUST got the computer I'll call the support line and let them send me another one. I'm certainly not going to send a brand new laptop for repair.

Thanks to both of you for posting.

Occasional Advisor
1shado1

OK, maybe it IS the dvd drive.  Your original post didn't make it clear that you were tapping AFTER inserting a dvd.  It sounded like inserting a dvd OR tapping on the housing caused the issue, not a combination of both.:smileyhappy: 

Taking it back does sound like a plan.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

This is not a problem, it is a feature.  This just parks the hard drive head until it is next accessed.  It does this when it senses vibration, or when it senses free fall.  This is not something failing, and this coudl save your hard drive.

I used to see this on a Tablet I was using...  You can turn off the message, and adjust the sensitivity of the setting.  Gee, it has been so long though that I forget where I did it.  But I would start in Control panel.  Look for the Toshiba ones, or a Hard Drive one, May be under tablet settings if this is a tablet.  I hope that helps. If not, maybe we can muddle through this together since you have the computer in front of you.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Regular Advisor
Defender

To piggy-back with Techman, your unit has an EASYGUARD protection circuit.  Read up on same in your product manual.  Not a Tablet as far as I can see.
Regular Advisor
Defender

When you insert the DVD does the message appear about vibration?  The table you put it on is there a printer operating, causing some vibration?  If not, have you insured that the tray door is firmly closed and flush with the bottom assembly?
nlk10010

It may have an EasyGuard protection circuit but the Resource Manual I received says go to easyguard.toshiba.com for details which unfortunately throws a browser error. Searching for EasyGuard on the Toshiba site essentially gives you PDFs of each manual telling you about EasyGuard and to go to easyguard.toshiba.com but not giving any details. So dead-in-the-water there.

I really need to have the computer in front of me so I can better respond to your questions: what actually happened was I received the machine, downgraded to XP (I did NOT see the message when I was doing the downgrade) then passed the computer to someone else to install some industrial control software. He was the one who mentioned this message to me. So what I need to do is get the computer back and see if I can recreate the problem.

While I understand that this occurence is a result of the EG tool, I don't think I'm wrong in saying that it's NOT supposed to happen each time you play a DVD, at least if the computer is on a solid surface and there's nothing wrong with the disc. Nor is EG supposed to kick in if you gently tap the computer housing (which my guy said is what he did). So if the Satellite comes back and I see this message each time a DVD is played then it's got to go back. If I see it only occasionally, under circumstances which might reasonably be construed to be vibration-generating, then I have no issue with it.

IAC, thanks to all the posters for taking the time to try and help me out. Once I get the computer back for testing (in a day or two) I  WILL post to either let you know all is OK or to see if you guys can help me muddle through this. The last thing I want to do is have to swap the thing out (it's not really mine anyway, I bought it for my condo complex who will be using it for access control).

Occasional Advisor
Techman

On the computer I looked at way back when... this was something that could be adjusted.  If it is too sensitive, then turn it down.

I liked it at high sensitivity.  After all that means it will give maximum protection to the hard drive.  But, what isn't good is those message that pop up all the time.  They can really annoy someone.  So I simply turned off the messages, but kept the sensitivity high.

This signature left intentionally blank.