Rickmedina

Satellite L755-S5256 wont boot past Toshiba screen

My Satellite L755-S5256 will not boot past the Toshiba screen. It keeps cycling over and over. I tried pressing F12 and selecting the HDD to boot from, and also tried selecting Recovery, but it wont boot. Please help

Rickmedina

Re: Satellite L755-S5256 wont boot past Toshiba screen

Forgot to add that the laptop was previously working fine.  Last thing was Norton picking up something and I clicked to remove it, and thats when it immediately rebooted and was stuck in this loop. Also of note is that I had 8G of mem and now bios only shows 4G.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite L755-S5256 Specifications

Satellite L755-S5256 Downloads

Try a system reset. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, if you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then boot into Windows.

Rickmedina wrote: ... Also of note is that I had 8G of and now bios only shows 4G.

Your model's specifications show that it came with only 4GB of RAM, and that both slots were occupied. So, where did you get the other RAM from? Toshiba notebooks are very finicky about the RAM they use. So, you should only use the Toshiba supplied/approved RAM, or the best compatible modules Kingston Memory offers.

Toshiba 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz Computer Memory Module

Kingston® 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Notebook Memory Module

If the reset doesn't work, and you still have your original RAM modules, you could try putting those back in and see if it helps at all.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Rickmedina

Tried it to no avail. Replaced the new memory back with the original memory modules also. It still just resets to the Toshiba screen over and over.

Super Advisor
miker643

Please try to give as many details as possible. Were you able to enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2? If so, in BIOS setup were you able to press F9 to load setup defaults, and F10 to save and exit?

As soon as you see the Toshiba logo keep repeatedly pressing the F8 key and see if you are able to get into the Advanced Windows Options Menu. If so, can you start in Safe Mode?

Mike

neurosurgdoc

Hello, I have the same problem with the same laptop. Tried resetting the bios setup to defaults and it did not help. Tried pressing the F8 button and no windows setup popped up. The laptop was working well and suddenly it will not boot. Really appreciate your help.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Wow! A brain surgeon? Really? And I was just making jokes about changing keyboards not being brain surgery. :smileyhappy:

Do you have a Windows 7 64bit Emergency Repair Disk (ERD)? If not, download this ERD disk image on another computer and burn it to disk:

Windows 7 System Repair Disc 64-bit

Insert the disk into your L755-S5256's DVD/CD drive and reboot, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press F12 to enter the Boot Sequence menu, use the up/down arrow keys to select CD/DVD Optical Disk Drive, hit Enter to try and boot off this disk.

Are you able to boot up? If so, you should wind up in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) at the System Recovery Options menu:

WinRE

Then try a Startup Repair and a System Restore from the Windows Recovery Environment.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Mike

_coder_

Hello, I stumbled up on this while searching for something else on google. I own this laptop and experienced the same problem. The problem seems to lie in HDMI, considering it only happens when I use my HDMI port and System Resume. Not sure if it is a windows problem or a hardware fault, but the boot process seems to get stuck in a loop. There is no permanent fix to this(that I'm aware of), but fixing it is easy. Right after you see the Toshiba splash-screen(right between toshiba and windows splash screen you'll see a blinking cursor), simply hit your power button in between these boot sequences to power off, this will clear the window's system resume without having to remove your battery and unplug. To avoid this problem in the future, simply unplug HDMI cable before shutting down/hibernating.
_coder_

Also wanted to note that... if you were not using your HDMI port and this problem still occurred, then it's probably still a Windows System Resume problem and my solution should still work, if it doesn't, pop in your System Restoration disc, as your problem may be more severe.
neurosurgdoc

Hello, I burnt the file on a CD. Tried what you said but it will not boot and the screen keeps flashing on and off with Toshiba screen. Is there another that needs to be added to the cd to make it bootable?

Super Advisor
miker643

Assuming it's a good disk, and a good burn, shouldn't be. Try the disk on a known good computer and see if it'll boot up.

Mike

neurosurgdoc

I tried using the cd with the file you mentioned. The other laptop does not boot with the cd either. Can you please help?

neurosurgdoc

I did check the directory and the windows repair file is on the cd.

Super Advisor
miker643

miker643 wrote:... Try the disk on a known good computer and see if it'll boot up...

neurosurgdoc wrote: I did check the directory and the windows repair file is on the cd.

Can you use the disk to boot up on another computer?

Mike

neurosurgdoc

Yes I tried it on another laptop and the other laptop does not boot up either. I even opened the windows repair file that you had me download that was in ISO format and burnt the content of it into another cd. It still wont boot up.

Super Advisor
miker643

Time to take to a professional for a diagnostic & estimate.

Locate a Toshiba ASP

Good luck. If you get it worked out, and get a chance, let us know what it was.

Mike

chantellove

Can someone tell me if this system reset that you guys mention has the capability to erase any of my hard drive? I don't have a lot backed up & I need to know if there's a risk before I do this, because my Toshiba P775 from Costco is also frozen on the splash screen...been like that for days, and the thing is only 5 months old. Needless to say, I'm NOT happy.
jeskacorn

I made the repair disk and will try it, just in case it doesn't work, where might I obtain a System Restoration disk? One did not come with my laptop when I purchased it...

Thank you!!

-Jess