Occasional Organizer
KMacJr

Satellite L655D-S5050 will not start

Hello!

I have owned my Satellite L655D-S5050 for a little over a year, and this is the first major problem it has given me. 

I'll try to explain as best as I can.

A few days ago, I was using my computer as I usually do, and closed the lid when I was finished using it. I have my computer set up to hibernate when I close the lid.

I came back about 20 minutes later, and found that my computer was still on, but the screen was blank. I tried several different things, but I eventually had to do a hard reboot.

When I rebooted the computer, the screen remained blank and the fan ran at full speed. The BIOS screen never appeared, and Windows never started. The HDD access light never lit up, and I could not hear any HDD activity occurring. I tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot, but it didn't do anything. I had to do another hard reboot.

After pressing the power button again, the same thing happened, and it happens every time I try to start the computer. This is where I am currently at.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Anybody have any possible fixes?

Thanks in advance!! :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
camey1

Re: Satellite L655D-S5050 will not start

I had that problem once.  What I did is to start it, in Safe Mode, that's when you hit power button keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until safe mode comes up.  In Safe Mode, do a System restore.  I would go back about 1 month to restore the system.  Try that, you have nothing to loose.  Mine worked after a couple of trys.

Hope it works.  Good Luck.  Camey1

Occasional Organizer
KMacJr

I tried to start in safe mode, but the computer wouldn't even get far enough into the startup process to get into safe mode. :smileysad:

Occasional Contributor
lugia2142

Happened with my A665-S6067 too. Such a common problem I guess. 

NightLynx

[ Edited ]
Hi, I have exactly the same issue... It happened to me today. I have added this RSS Feed so hopefully I can see what the answer is... Best of luck to both of us. I have been looking for support on this by searching Google and such, but nothing yet. I even put a CD in the laptop to see if it accessed it, but it didn't.
Occasional Organizer
KMacJr

[ Edited ]

I just got my computer to start up!! :smileyvery-happy:

What I did was similar to the "towel trick". I turned on the computer, closed the lid, and then covered the computer with my bed's comforter. After about an hour or so, I noticed that the fan was no longer running full-speed, but was still running. I held down the power button to turn off the computer, then pressed it again to turn it on, and was greeted by the Toshiba logo! After trying (and failing) a startup repair, Windows is now running as it should. 

I am now pretty sure that this is being caused by a hardware failure. Based on what I've heard from a few other Toshiba Satellite owners, this appears to be the result of the solder joints on the southbridge failing, and therefore breaking the connection between the southbridge chip and the motherboard. I truly hope Toshiba looks into this, and if it is found to be a manufacturing defect, will respond properly. :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I am sure that this will happen again in the future, but for now I can use my computer again! I'll let you all know what happens. :smileyhappy:

EDIT:

I tried restarting the computer, and it once again failed to start. After the towel trick, I got it running again, and am currently using my computer! It is obvious that this is just a temporary fix, but it's better than nothing.

RP1
RP1

Reading your post is basically like I wrote it! I had my laptop (same model) 1 year and 1 month and the exact same thing happened to me. However I was able to get mine to boot occassionally with hard shut downs. Toshiba techs tried to tell me that I was because I upgraded my memory that it was a timing issue. So I put the old ram back in and it did not fix the problem. I found that If I let it sit for an hour or so after boot failure I could power it down and it would more than likely come on. It got to the point where my laptop was eventually dead in the water. I got on the phone with Toshiba twice a week for one week until I got a manager on the phone. I was able to explain how it was one month out of warranty I was very upset about it. They agreed to honor the warranty and fix it for me. They were actually very cool once I got to explain my frustration.

Occasional Contributor
lugia2142

$379 or so for a system board replacement part for my computer. Before, when I was sitll having this issue during arrenty, the onyl time they actualyl replaced the board was once but it seems they never even put effort into finding what the cause because it happened again.. Lol what a waste of parts. Obviously soemthings probably slowly damaging the motherboard cause it gradually becomes worse well. soemtimes it can boot for like 6 min at best in efforts of 30 min. first it started  with random shut downs .Then later on started with barely can boot.

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

I am having the same blank screen/no mouse/no HDD sound, problem with pc fan blowing. I am going to try the 'comforter/blanket' approach to see if it fixes. I am in Michigan without AC, 2nd floor, yet stationed my L655D S505 in a northeast room with a square floor fan on a box directly blowing on it 24/7, and blocked out window light, yet with some ventilation from outside as well as a ceiling fan, to offset high temps. it had been working fine, with the addition of a PC fan stand during operation, even after 100F degree day on July 4, 2012. The temp inside this room is till much better than outside temps. Then about a week after, and a few more 90+ degree days, I came back after an hibernation break ,(with screen kept unclosed), maybe 30 minutes later to this problem. I have ruled out a bad battery, and suspect the some motherboard connection isssue. Geek squad in Best Buy said bad motherboard at least $300).

I am I bit mad to say the least. The PC worked fine all last summer this way, yet now out of warranty of course, after Sept 2011. I will let know what happens. No response to torch light in camera eye. No response to disconnect/power button depress, etc. 

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

I did that towel trick with a comforter, which did indeed work ! But I could not start it normally after that, had to blanket again. This cannot be a good thing. I am going to look at a memory issue as it started in hibernation mode. if anyone has any more info, please let me know.

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

Correction; the problem began after hibernation.

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

Removing and re-installing memory modules on the base did NOT fix this issue. I have read something else where it could be the connection cable(s) from the motherboard, which route via the screen hinges.  This will be the next check. UGH.

Occasional Contributor
smiileysa

I have posted on this problem earlier where my laptop hangs during the POST.  If I leave it, sometimes it just hangs there and then sometimes it will shut itself down after a few minutes. Have also had it actually start booting to Windows and then shut itself down after a few minutes, but seldom.

Sooooo.....although I discounted it at first, I found a post someplace that talked about the hard drive, (also mentioned CD/DVD drive), so I pulled the hard drive and, WALLA, it boots throught the POST every time.  I am sure it is not a bad hard drive but a problem with the MBR, boot sector or something like that.  So, tried bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot, but on restart it went directly to chkdisk so that appeared to cause more problems.  Have not restarted since so don't know if it will do that again.  As a note, my Vista install worked fine, this started exactly when doing an upgrade to Win 7.  Reinstalled Vista hoping it would cure the problem, but no, it persists.

Occasional Contributor
Jasmijoe

My laptop just started having this issue this evening.

It was fine when I came home from work. I wanted to go out so I shut it down. When I came home, I turned it on but only the power, A/C, and battery light came on. Also, the fan is running at a "super fast speed". I've tried all the solutions I've found, including the battery, power adapter, and taking the hard drive out.

Right now, I'm trying to just leave it on with the fan running. I'll see what happens in about an hour or so. I'm so glad that this thread is still active.

It's also a coincidence that I see others bought their laptop in 2010 and the warrenty expired in September 2011, just as mine. The only thing I ever use my laptop for is pictures and to go online.

If we can't get any kind of answer from Toshiba on this forum, I will be giving them a call very soon. Everyone else should do so, too.

Occasional Contributor
Jasmijoe

UPDATE:

The Towel Trick worked for me. I took out my hard drive, and let it sit running wrapped in two towels for about an hour. After about an hour, I unwrapped the computer and turned it off. Then I reinserted my hard drive, and turned it on. I was quickly greeted by the Tosihba logo. Right now I'm in the process of backing my computer up. I left the towel next to the fan just incase.

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

Am still looking for more info. I saw a youtube repair video replacing the DC jack, but there was no power at all, for an indication of this malfunction, as far as I could gather. Good grief. I am slow to check the motherboard cables because it appears that would entail having to take it all apart to do so, including screen area? And dont forget about those anti-static wrist bands for safe working. Radio shack $5.99 just for one? lol. I am very reluctant to power up via towel trick, and have only done this twice. I am at the local library PC for now. I hope this thread remains active until the solution is found. I am still suspect of a faulty soldering connection to/from motherboard. But just cannot think of anything else at this point. Will let know if I venture the connection(s) check.

Occasional Contributor
Jasmijoe

[ Edited ]
I read on another thread that it's a falty soulder 'point' on the southbridge. It's obviously a manufacturing defect, considering the number of people I've found that complained, and there's most likely a countless number of others.

Try the towel trick. Take your hard drive out, and sit the laptop on the floor. I left mine for about an hour. The main point you need to cover is the fan, but I wrapped mine all around. It might feel like it's getting too hot but don't worry about it. Last night instead of shutting it down, I put it on sleep so it wasn't fully powered down. I know it's only a temporary solution, but it gives you enough time to get your things.
Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

I tried to let go into hibernation after the 2nd 'towel' start-up, but would not awaken out of sleep. Fyi. Same as initial circumstances. Is possible it could be a hibernation defect, am guessing.

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/977106-fix-windows-7-sp1-not-waking-from-sleep-mode/page__st__15

This link mentions hibernation problems after updating to Windows 7 SP1, including Toshiba L655D S5050. I have a hunch this could be related. lol. I have had constant windows updates coming in almost nonstop during the last 4 months prior, every time I power down, including the only two towel start-ups I have done. The link also states no mention from Toshiba yet found. lol.

Occasional Contributor
2ndsight

PS- Was Windows 7 SP1 versus Internet Explorer 9 compatability?