Occasional Contributor
Syrez
Accepted Solution

Satellite L655-S5117 will not resume from sleep/ power profile issue

Toshiba-Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.6" Display-Helios Black-L655-S5117 Order Date: 11/08/2010 Hey Guys! If I close my laptop's lid while I'm logged in my profile, the system would not resume from sleep when I open the lid. I have to hard boot and log in again loosing any unsaved work. The system doesn't hibernate either! The screen goes off but the leds stay on, so does the caps lock light etc. Once, it was in this hung over state for over 8 hours but didn't hibernate. If the system is on battery and the power saving mode 'shuts off the screen', I can't get the screen back on again without hard booting. The Laptop came with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit and 4G Ram This has been a persisten problem since I've had this laptop. For months, I waited for some magical update to appear and fix this for good but nothing yet. I've trawled throughs forums after forums with no results. Is there anyone out there who has had this or similar problem? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L655-S5117 will not resume from sleep/ power profile issue

Satellite L655-S5117 

the system would not resume from sleep when I open the lid. ... The system doesn't hibernate either! 

Try resetting the power plans to the default. Enter this at an elevated command prompt.

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Let us know what happens.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

Here is the deal. I went to start>run>cmd and entered  powercfg -restoredefaultschemes. There was no message or error and I got the C:\ prompt back. I shut the lid right then and waited for the lights to go out; It did and when I raised the lid again and pressed the power on button, I was brought back to the login screen. Next, I hibernated the system and waited for the lights to go out. The system hibernated at once with the lights off and all. When I restarted the laptop, I did not get the 'Windows did not shut down properly' error screen (which I would sometimes get even if the laptop hibernated) and was brought to login screen. Both the problem therefore seem to be resolved at the moment. Thanks a lot Jerry!! I'll let you know if the problem re-occurs. Meanwhile, do you think I should never modify the power settings myself, as in when the HDD sleeps or screen turns off because that would be a bummer :smileyindifferent:

Thanks,

Manish

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

do you think I should never modify the power settings myself..

I wouldn't say that, Manish. If things don't work right, you can reset them again.

BTW, I thought that command line only works at an elevated command prompt.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

The problem is as of now resolved. I just used the normal command prompt! In case the problem surfaces again, I'll try the ECP. One more thing I'm left to see is if the laptop will resume from sleep if I let the battery drain.

Thanks again!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

My "elevated command prompt" link was broken. It should work now.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

Hi Jerry! Sorry to bother you again but it has been a while since the problem resurfaced. I can't reproduce the same results everytime but it's happening more frequently or maybe I've started noticing it more. I tried the Elevated Command Prompt Power Schemes reset but it didn't help either. Regardless if the laptop is on battery or AC power, the hibernate/sleep/resume problems are all back. Could you suggest something else or should I try contacting Toshiba repair as the laptop is still under warranty.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Can you make the problem occur on demand? If so, we can troubleshoot.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

I tried. It didn't work and thats what bothers me the most. Normally we'd try to make it happen on demand but in my case there are several things that may or may not repeat the symptoms but the bottom line is; they make my laptops sleep/resume/hibernate very unpredictable. I'm working on a word document, I go to get me some coffee, I come back and touch my trackpad to bring back the screen, I see HDD led blink for a sec; I press the power button and I see the HDD led go blink again but under no circumstance would the screen come back alive. At the same time, it just might. Am I making any sense?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Until you can test to find out if it's fixed, we can't troubleshoot.

So work on that.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

alright! working on it. 

Occasional Contributor
Syrez

ok! so here is two consecutive successful 'error on demand'. There was about 28% battery life, one word document was open, one chrome and one IE 9 window was open. Utorrent, powerISO, Teamviewer & Skype in background apart from routine processes. I leave the laptop alone. Screen goes off, and it may have entered sleep mode after some time. I try resuming the system by mouse click or trackpad but the system doesn't respond. I press the power button and the CAPS lock light goes on(was off initially) but the system doesn't resume.I plug back the AC power in and Long press power button to kill remaining LEDs (White static power LED, Orange blinkning battery LED and orange static wifi LED)and then power on. This of course brings up the 'windows did not shutdown properly error'. Also, when I'm trying to resume and clicking the mouse pad buttons or track pad, the HDD led would flicker momentarily.  

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Once you can make the problem occur on demand. See if it happens after a clean boot.

1. Open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe).

2. On the General tab, click Selective startup and clear the Load startup items check box.

3. On the Services tab, click the Hide all Microsoft services check box and click Disable all.

4. OK out and restart the computer.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

[ Edited ]

It worked alright. System resumed successfully more than a couple of times following the same steps. Following that I went back to msconfig and loaded startup items and enabled all services. Next, I let the system go to sleep/go low on battery. When I tried to resume it, the same problem occoured; the system did not resume. Is there anyway of isolating which service/driver is causing this? Thanks for bearing with me so far! 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Is there anyway of isolating which service/driver is causing this?

I would re-enable all the services first. The culprit is rarely a service.

If things still work okay, then recheck half the items on the Startup tab, and so forth.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Let us know how it goes.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

I tried that. Enabling the services and keeping all startup items disabled, but the system didn't resume. I'm gonna double check just to be sure. As of now, I need to disable both startup items and services for a successful resume :smileysad:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If that's the case, track down the service that makes the trouble. Since we have left the Microsoft services, it didn't come with Windows.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

I must have lost track somewhere, after 6 reboots I'm sure that it works when startup items are disabled and services are running. The screen goes off, the battery drains and on (AC powered) reboot I get an anticipated 'resume system' alert. Next, I'll be disabling startup items individually. Since I use very run-of-the-mill system, I have only very standard startups items like I mentioned earlier: skype, utorrent, teamviewer, poweriso,conexant audio, intel HD graphics and WiFi utility . So I'm just starting by disabling the numerous TOSHIBA's startup items and follow up.  

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

skype, utorrent, teamviewer, poweriso,conexant audio, intel HD graphics and WiFi utility .

uTorrent is a known troublemaker.

R700 not going into sleep mode...

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Syrez

Hi Jerry! uTorrent seems to be working fine(even if active upload/download). I'm still trying the startup items which were earlier disabled. I gues I have disabled the driver which enables the touchpad's scroll functionality. However, the sleep mode on battery drain or inactivity is working fine I guess. will keep you posted. Once again, thanks for the support. I really appreciate that. Have a great long weekend (if you're in USA) :smileyhappy: