W0m15

Satellite L505D-S5983 black screen

I'm having a problem with my laptop which I'm hoping won't turn out to be too bad. It's a satellite l505D-S5983 with Windows 7.

Yesterday it was working fine like usual but then I had to leave the room for a while and the laptop seemed to be off when I returned. I don't know for a fact since I wasn't in the room at the time but it seemed like the battery ran out while I was gone, so I plugged it in and tried to turn it on but the screen stayed black.

I've tried taking out the battery, holding down the power button, and turning it on with the battery back in, as well with just the adapter plugged in, but the results seem the same either way. The laptop comes on and acts like usual mostly except with the screen still black, although the num lock light only flashes on then stays off; I don't know if it was on or off the last time I had the laptop on. The light for the caps lick key also stays off when I try turning it on. Other than that the laptop usually acts normal.

Although, sometimes when I press the power button the green light will just flash once and I sometimes have to hold it down to start the laptop; some of the times with me having to hold it down and then a few seconds later the laptop starts up, but it sounds normal when it's running.

Sorry if that's long, I was trying to give an idea of what happens. I'm just hoping the situation isn't too dire and maybe there's still a way to get it to work. So I've pretty much tried this "power cycle" and looked at the list of things to try up to the point which requires a screen since I can't see mine. I also don't have an external monitor or such to try using since that was mentioned in another post.
W0m15

Re: Satellite L505D-S5983 black screen

I haven't tried this towel trick I've read about but it has shut off from overheating a few times while charging which I hoped was basically the same thing anyway but there was no change.

After it was fully charged I unplugged it and some time later when I turned the laptop on it was a black screen that said something about battery failing (or something along those lines) with option to either press F1 to continue or F2 to go to setup. I ended up going to setup and after exiting it was black and I haven't gotten the same result again yet.
stephsteve14801

I bought a Toshiba Satellite in October and after loving it for 5 weeks, (and after an update) it failed to turn on inexplicably. I bought it back to Best Buy and because it was new they made an exception, and exchanged it for new. Now 2 weeks later the same things with the new devise. Toshiba- Is this product defected? I am about to return and replace again (within the return time)  for a new product and manufacturer!

Occasional Contributor
freddjw

DAOES IT LET YOU GO ONE safemode or anything else? how about f2?

if it does you might have a hard disk problem, again if it fdoes you can fresh install windows.

Occasional Contributor
freddjw

one more thing sorry, remove the battery and run it only on power.

W0m15

I managed to get the battery failed to connect or whatever message again and continued to windows. I forgot to write down the exact message because I hurried to not miss the chance to have it working. Both times it worked after the battery charging light turned green, unless it was somehow just a coincidence.

I don't know for a fact if it would let me go into safe mode, but after pressing F1 the laptop seemed to run like normal so maybe it would? But when windows started, the time and date were reset which I had to fix. I worked on saving things in case though I didn't get to finish and I didn't notice in time that the orange light was flashing and it powered off because I didn't plug it in in time.

I didn't see how long it was on for but at least an hour or two? The external battery is less than a year old and I haven't really had problems with that one.

I was hoping maybe replacing the cmos battery could be good enough and I wanted to try that, but it looks like replacing that battery would be harder to do than I hoped.
W0m15

[ Edited ]

I forgot to add that so far removing the battery and plugging in the power doesn't seem to make any difference that I've noticed so far.

ETA: The latest time that I got the computer to start, the message it gave was, "The firmware has detected that a CMOS battery failure occured."