wnannoequant

Satellite L505D-S5983 - CD/DVD-ROM issue

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I have a Windows 7 Home Edition laptop that will not boot from the CD-DVD-ROM drive. Under normal circumstances, I know that if the boot order is right, the computer should automatically boot from the CD. However, it instead refuses to acknowledge any bootable disks I have in there at all. I have tried from Super Fdisk bootable CD to Linux Mint 9 Live boot CD version i386. My computer seems to just skip over the CD_ROM entirely and immediately boot from the hard drive.

However, it can still read CDs and DVDs perfectly. I have no problem burning items on a CD or pulling items off. I also have no problem playing games or movies that require a CD or DVD.

Solutions I have attempted:

1. Changing the boot order. Nothing changed.
  2. Creating new CDs. Nothing Changed.
  3. Gently cleaning the drive. Nothing changed.
  4. Pressing the left and right arrow keys during the POST. Though it did throw me into the screen in which I choose what I want to boot, my only option was Windows 7 in the end.
  5. Checking the Device Manager. My drive is working perfectly according to my computer.
  6. Changing drivers. Updating wasn't possible as I already had the latest drivers, rolling back wasn't an option because there wasn't anything to roll back to, and disabling and enabling changed nothing.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm trying not to buy a new drive, as I'm short on money. I'll do it if I have to, but if I don't have to...

Thanks for any help or advice.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L505D-S5983 - CD/DVD-ROM issue

wnannoequant

Re: Satellite L505D-S5983 - CD/DVD-ROM issue

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. I hope it works. Thanks.