happy_dream

Satellite L505D-GS6000 won't boot up, black screen, unresponsive

I own a Satellite L505-GS6000 that has decided that it no longer feels compelled to respond to my commands. I was using the machine earlier this evening when I decided it was time to feed my family, so I locked my screen to keep the kids off of it, closed the laptop, and left it on the table. When I returned to boot it back up again, I opened the machine and it did nothing. I hit the power button thinking it needed further prompting beyond just opening it to wake up and still nothing happened. I kept trying the power button but nothing happened. 

Since I don't keep my battery in the computer when I'm plugged into the wall, I pulled the chord from the side and waited a few seconds before plugging it back in. After plugging it in, I hit the power button again and it started running the fan so I thought it was going to boot up. Nothing happened beyond a black screen and some fan noise. I attempted all sorts of different things like using battery power instead, using both the chord and the battery, plugging a flash drive into one of the ports, and finally I took the battery out, disconnected the chord, and held the power button for a couple of minutes to discharge any power in it while I Googled the problem from my iPod touch. Still nothing but the fan. 

So here I am, on my husband's laptop researching whether or not I need to weep over lost data. 

One more thing to add, the a/c power light comes on when plugged into the wall, the battery power light comes on when it's in the laptop, and the power button comes on when I try to turn on the machine, but the internal storage light remains dark (along with the memory card reader light that I'm obviously not trying to use at this point anyway.) 

I have a feeling that this is a good indication that either my hard drive needs replaced or that the motherboard needs fixed. At least that's what my brother the IT guy says without knowing anything about Toshiba laptops. Can anyone help a girl out here? Much appreciated. 

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Satellite L505D-GS6000 won't boot up, black screen, unresponsive

It sounds as though the motherboard either needs serviced or replaced.  I have bought several systems with the exact same symptoms, and in every case, it was the motherboard.  Don't worry, I doubt you have lost anything from your hard drive.

happy_dream

Update: I took it to Best Buy where I bought it and let the "Geek" behind the counter assess the situation. It was indeed the mother board, but I'm being charged $100.00 that I don't really have to pull my data from the hard drive. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new laptop. :smileysad: Could be worse though. 

Thanks for your reply!

Frequent Advisor
drev9

DON'T SPEND $100 for them to pull your data!!!  You can get a SATA HDD to USB cable on ebay for $5-10, and get the data yourself.  Not worth spending the money for them to do it.

danwalker

If Laptop Will Not Start Up (Power, Battery, AC Adapter LEDs ON, NO Hard Drive Activity LED, NO Display,

NO F2, ESC, etc)

01.  Power OFF Laptop

02.  Unplug USB Laptop chiller fan

03.  Battery is installed

04.  Plug-in AC Adapter

05.  Power ON Laptop

06.  Wait 15-60 minutes!!

07.  Power OFF Laptop

08.  Unplug AC Adapter

09.  Power ON Laptop (Laptop should Start Up!)

10.  Plug-in AC Adapter

11.  Plug-in USB Laptop chiller fan (Laptop chiller fan required otherwise CPU will overheat and HALT system)

Above steps have worked every time my Toshiba L505D-GS6000 Laptop would not start up.