Lost_artz

Satellite C655-S5041 won't boot with new RAM (8GB)

[ Edited ]

I recently bought some Ram from Newegg which can be found here. I installed the aforementioned Ram into my laptop following the correct method (unplug, remove battery, etc.) however when I booted my computer up I received a black screen with a blinking cursor that freezes after a few seconds shortly after the manufacturer's page is loaded.

I know for a fact that the Ram I bought is compatible with my laptop as I'm using one of the 2 sticks at the moment along with the original Ram from my laptop. Here's where I am really having issues though.

When I have just one stick of Ram I purchased installed without the original stick my computer fails to boot up also regardless of which slot the Rams in. I have tested the sticks I bought, and my computer will boot up with them, just not without the original stick that came with my computer which wouldn't be an issue except that a) there's only 2 slots, and b) my laptop can't have more than 8GB of Ram.

My BIOS is up to date (Ver1.6) and so long as I have my original stick of Ram installed my computer boots without any issues. Needless to say you can see why I'm in need of some help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other specifics regarding my computer or settings feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to find them out.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Satellite C655-S5041 won't boot with new RAM (8GB)

See this thread. Try disabling 'Legacy USB Support' in your BIOS Setup.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Lost_artz

Disabling the 'Legacy USB Support' didn't help. After saving the change in the BIOS and restarting my computer still failed to boot passed this black screen with a cursor. Once at that screen my laptop fails to continue further in the process without my original ram installed also.

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite C655-S5047 Specifications

Satellite C655D-S5041 Specifications

Is your model is a Satellite C655-S5047, or a Satellite C655D-S5041, as there is no C655-S5041. Toshiba laptops are extremely finicky about the RAM they will accept, regardless of the advertisied compatability of other modules. It is imperative to to be percise about your model number as:

The only approved replacement RAM modules for a Satellite C655-S5047 are shown on the spec sheet:

Memory Upgrade
Part Number Description
PA3669U-1M2G Toshiba 2GB DDR2-800 Memory Module
PA3670U-1M4G Toshiba 4GB DDR2-800 Memory Module

Or the best quality compatible Kingston Memory modules. However, if this is your system, unless you are very lucky, I doubt you will find the 4GB modules available from Toshiba, Kingston, or a third party supplier. I use the same memory in my system.

The only approved replacement RAM modules for a Satellite C655D-S5041 are shown on the spec sheet:

Memory Upgrade
Part Number Description
PA3676U-1M2G Toshiba 2GB DDR3-1066 Memory Module
PA3677U-1M4G Toshiba 4GB DDR3-1066 Memory Module

Or the best quality compatible Kingston Memory modules. These modules:

Part Number: PA3677U-1M4G

Part Number: KTT1066D3/4G

You purchased DDR3-1066 modules, which might work in the Satellite C655D-S5041. However, I sincerely doubt they will work in the Satellite C655-S5047.

Mike

Lost_artz

Sorry about the typo, I have a C655D-S5041.

I fail to see though, why they would work with the Kingston sticks but not G.Skill ones when they're the same thing just made by different companies.

Super Advisor
miker643

Read through the forums further if you don't believe me. I am just trying to give you the best advice I can, and the facts as I truly believe them to be. You can read up on the overall quality of Kingston Memory modules on the net as well.

If I was you, I would tell Newegg that those modules are not compatible and try to exchange them for 2 of these. But, of course, it's your decision.

Kingston 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) System Specific Memory for Toshiba Model

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I fail to see though, why they would work with the Kingston sticks but not G.Skill ones when they're the same thing just made by different companies.

Just to clarify (from my observations here): It's not a black or white issue.

There is always manufacturing variation in the properties of a memory module. How close it needs to be to the spec is what engineers call "tolerance."

Toshiba machines appear to require tighter tolerance than some other computers.

When Toshiba orders memory in bulk (from whatever manufacturer), they can insist on meeting that tolerance. And Kingston's best RAM is also known to observe a tight tolerance.

So the upshot is not that memories from others won't work. Usually they are compatible, but sometimes they are too far from the spec.

It's just that you can improve the probability of any particular module's compatibility when you order from Toshiba or buy Kingston's best.

-Jerry
jiminytk

I am having similar problems with a Toshiba Satellite C655 S5049.  I have two 4 GB RAM from Crucial.com.  If I install one, it works. If I install both the machine boots up, but very soon afterwards crashes (BSOD).  I've recovered from that (reinstall and reload, etc.).  Anyone out there have experience with Crucial RAM?  Singly its working, just not both in the machine.  I've double-checked the insertion so know it's "seated" correctly.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

what BSOD error codes are you receiving?

learning2serv

[ Edited ]

Just want to verify that the statement about Tolerance being an issue is very true. I bought some "nondescript" memory (but apparently it worked very well in general according to purchaser feedback - none that I read stated they were using them in Toshibas either way) which didn't work with my A205. Not the first time I've bumped memory in any of my machines. But taking the advice of the forum, I ran with Crucial, and we are up and running! I paid for 2 GB what I would have paid for 3, but hey, it now Works! (better than the 1GB I was at).