cbellar

Satellite A665 shuts down randomly

Hello, I have a Satellite A665 laptop that I got in December of 2010. Over the course of summer and fall of 2011, it began intermittantly shutting down. Sometimes it would do it right on startup, other times in the middle of use...and then it would work fine for weeks on end and not shut down once. When November of 2011 rolled around it started shutting down at random more frequently, to the point where it would not stay on for longer than a minute before dying. I sent the laptop in for repairs, and the hard drive was replaced and the laptop sent back. A month later it began shutting down again, and this time completely died--it wouldn't even try to turn on. So I sent it back in and this time the motherboard was replaced, along with the hard drive again. All seemed to be good, but recently it started shutting down at random when I turned on the computer. I installed the latest Toshiba system pack update (which said it fixed system crashes upon startup) and the problem went away for a few days, but today my laptop has shut down twice for no apparent reason, both times while it was on screen saver/going off screen saver.

I know my laptop is not overheating, because I always use it on my desk, and additionally, it has the extended battery pack on it, so the bottom of the laptop is always slightly elevated above my desk, allowing plenty of ventilation. The fan never has to run on high. I also know this is not a virus, because I've done plenty of virus scans on my laptop and it always comes up virus free. Additionally, it has a BRAND NEW hard drive and motherboard.

I use my laptop intensively for college and I simply cannot afford to have it shutting down on me when I need it. Anyone know what is going on and if I can fix it? Naturally it's out of warranty now, and I can't exactly do without it at school to have it sent off and repaired.

Occasional Contributor
ddj0195

Re: Satellite A665 shuts down randomly

You are not alone.  My A665-6067 has been doing this too. No rhyme or reason when it shuts down. Sometimes it is on waking from sleep or hibernate. Sometimes I made the mistake of logging in.  From time to time it takes a dislike to anything I'm doing.  Simply no behavior pattern I can put a finger on.   I'll be following this topic in hopes that someone will be able to figure it out and propose a solution.

Occasional Contributor
lugia2142

Join the club. Its not teh first toshiba to have the issue. I've had mine for a year or so and stillh ave that isuse. Even after they changed the motherboard it still happened. Applied new thermal paste, replaced ram, and even got a SSD for it. Still has the issue. Even during warrrenty, Toshiba didn't fix it entierly. Sometiesm endign it with the problem still there, or having loose parts so I had to send it back. Such poor warrenty support I do not recommend sending it to toshiba and paying them to repair. They dont' even find the source of the issue. Never had this issue on any of my other comptuers. Well at least I have nmany backup computers ( like 2 hp labtops) that work fine. Probalby not heating. ISsue got worse after a while and started shutting down at boot . Then after leaving it alone a while, it started turning on for logner amounts of time. I don't think 40*C is too hot so obviously not overheating.

AU
AU

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody. I have a same random shutting down problem with my 2-years old Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050. It started with randomly Sleed mode and Hard Shut Down without any warning. It looks like somebody pressed on power button... Last week it started to appear more recently and now my Laptop can not even start up. Computer switch itself off just 5 seconds after I switch it on.

My conclusion is that a problem is with power on/off module on the mother board. I have disassembled everything: RAM, HD, monitor, CD, keyboard, speakers, media buttons, mouse, external connectors and power button harness as well. Remained just motherboard (with CPU, GPU, cooling unit, ventilator, BIOS battery) and external power supply. I make short shorting on connector of power button to power it on, but nothing new - after 5 seconds it switch itself off like power button is still kept pressed.

I do not want to send my Laptop to Toshiba lab, since after reading this forum I do not believe they could fix it.

Is any idea how to fix or bypass this issue? Any suggestion will be appreciates!

Occasional Contributor
ddj0195

Hoping we have isolated the problem on my A665-S6067. Started by disabling the sleep and hibernate states. Then added a better cooling mat (three fans) under the notebook.  Final step was to disable something that allows shared processing. It has been about a month and we have not experienced any random shutdowns since the changes were implemented.

numlin

My A665-6054 powers off in the same way. The problem started a few months after running out of warranty.

I had it serviced for cleaning the dissipators, changing the silicon grease, etc. It did not help.

I use it mainly under linux but it failed also in Windows 7. I don't believe that overheating is the problem. First because sometimes the problem shows just when trying turn the laptop on in the morning with everything completely cold. Also because I do numeric computartions and sometimes runs for hours at full load. The "lm_sensors" under linux allows me to check the core temperature and it reaches in the worst case 85 celsius, being 95 the "high" and 105 the "critical" so 85 for a while os OK. When the CPU is just standing the temperature goes down to 40-45. Just in case I updated the BIOS to the last version (2.3) which is supposed to handle better several things. I hope at some point somebody finds a cure.

ddj095, how did you disable sleep and hibernate?, from whithin windows or at the BIOS?

Occasional Contributor
ddj0195

Numlin, I used the Windows Power Options through the Control Panel. I went through the power plans and set all references to sleep or hibernate to OFF, NEVER. The setting for turning off the display also set to NEVER. Then move on to the "Advanced" settings, scroll for Sleep and set everything to OFF or NEVER. Power Buttons & Lid ---no changes made.

At the same time I was tweaking the power settings I recall working on the Macromedia Flash settings.  There is an option for PnP upload. The default is ON, and I turned it off.  In case anyone needs it, here is the page for controlling your Flash settings:     http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

Update on the performance.  I've not experienced ANY unplanned shut downs since I changed my power settings to disable the sleep and hibernate functions in the Power Options. During the past week I have been working without the additional cooling pad. No shut downs so far, so probably not a heat issue, but a programming defect regarding the Sleep/Hibernate functions.

LuisVG

I have the same problem with my laptop A665-SP6002L

I just used my computer to make documents, surf the Internet and watch videos on youtube.

Peter

Luis, it shuts down by itself? Does it always seem to do it randomly? Do you get any kind of error message? What happens if you just leave it on without using it?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
ddj0195

Back with an update.  After turning off the sleep hibernate modes, everything ran beautifully for months. Then just an hour ago, I accidentally turned on ECO mode.  The first time the screen went black and I tried to wake it up, it crashed again.

No doubt about it. ECO Mode has a major bug in it.

ChibaMike

SOLVED: Satellite A665 shuts down randomly

SOLVED: The problem is a bad power switch..

It uses a small metal dimple disc switch. The metal disc becomes weak and makes contact randomly.. Espeically when putting any pressure on the top of the case of the laptop.

I managed to remove the exsisting metal disc and replaced it with one from another switch.

Anyhow TOSHIBA TECH SUPPROT you need to start changing swtiches, not motherboards..

Occasional Contributor
ddj0195

Re: SOLVED: Satellite A665 shuts down randomly

Is Toshiba likely to recognize this as a manufacturing defect and authorize factory repairs? This has been a problem from day one.

azbatilo

Hello.  Can I please get an update on this issue.  Have you not had any problems with randowm shut downs since replacing the switch.  Thanks.

imagineboy04

So I've read about these shutting down issues with A665 i7 .  I've had one for a couple years now. I was having the same exact problems. The computer will abruptly turn off and just blackout, you can hear the harddrive abruptly stop. Eventually this led to my HD corrupting and losing all my data. The computer failed to boot again, I had to reinstall windows. Same problem. 

Then...

had always noticed that the vents underneath the vents are not really vents. There is a vent pattern that serves absolutely no purpose. Sure the computer doens't get too hot, however...

After having used my laptop past my warranty period, I decided to dissasemble it. 

I repasted the graphics card and cpu,cleaned the fans, and use a power drill to swiss cheese the "fake vent" area with hole patterns.

The shutting down issue stopped happening.  Why toshiba, why did you put fake vents there when they could've been providing better cooling for the gpu?

I am posting from work, so unfortunately no pictures. I am now running windows 8 on it after I'm confident that the issue went away. Currently games and videos stutter every now and then when under load. I could imagine that the solder joints on the graphics chip have been permanently damaged due to the poor ventilation design.  

I am also a mechanical engineer, though i believe the fact that my computer is at least functional now is proof enough it was the gpu .

cadriens

I have the same laptop with the same problem, it's a really stressing issue. I have tried many things including cleaning the air vents with compressed air, changing my power settings, even reinstalling Windows, thinking it was a hidden virus. It has all been in vain. Total waste of my time. I contacted the Toshiba technical support and they were not helpful, not one bit. Wasn't Toshiba the leading company in laptop production? The worst part of it all is that after having all these problems I went out and bought a Toshiba tablet ( Toshiba Excite 10 ) . It freezes up a lot, has issues with the camera, I've never been able to get the SD external card reader to work. It's total garbage just like the laptop, and again the technical support was not the solution for me. The solutions that they offered were at a ridiculous price, and were not assured. I really wish the problem with the laptop could be resolved at least, but I see that everyone here has tried many things already and I'm not too sure if they have had any positive outcomes permanently. I'll be checking back on this post, maybe somebody will have the final solution.
garyk66

I can confirm that the problem is a bad power button ribbon cable.  I bought one on eBay for $22 at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151120708601&ssPageName=ADME:L:smileysurprised:U:US:3160.  You need to open the laptop.  Here are some good instructions, http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A665-A660/laptop-disassembly-1.htm.  Once you have the laptop apart, disconnect the old power button ribbon cable from the motherboard and attach the new one.  Very easy if you are comfortable opening up the laptop.

Occasional Contributor
ddj0195

Happy that you were able to resolve YOUR hardware issue. We had success with disabling Sleep/Hibernate settings, as well as increasing airflow for temp control. Since April 2012 we have had no further problems with the random shut downs. We use this notebook for high intensity forensic analysis and it is running just fine under this heavy work load for more than three years now.
Junior88

So was this indeed the power ribbon cable or the power switch itself? I've read two different posts now with conflicting information. My laptop has the same shutdown issue as everyone else here where it will shut down at random, shortly after start up, or not for hours and hours.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Different strokes for different fokes:smileyvery-happy:Not always the same fix for the same problem. That's why they call it a PC (Personal Computer).:smileywink: I found this thread very informative,

Dokie!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
MartindelPotroijan

First of all: Im glad that im not the only one suffering from this problem

Secondly: I opened up the bottom case and vaccuumed the laptop and then disabled hibernation/sleep mode.

this seemed to do the trick