babaloo

Satellite A665-S6086 can't connect to WiFi router

[ Edited ]

Spontaneously (no obvious triggering event) unable to connect to router. Two other computers have no problem connecting. The Satellite recognizes the presence of the network connection with "signal strength=Excellent", but upon trying to connect I get the message "Windows was unable to connect to <network name>". I've run out of options.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Satellite A665-S6086 can't connect to WiFi router

I would normally suggest that you check the antenna switch and that the FN-F8 has turned on wireless connection, but you said that the signal strength was excellent. Go to Control Panel and then Network and Sharing Center. You should see a graphic with your computer to the left, the router in the center and the Internet represented by a globe on the far right. There will be an 'X' where the connection is not being made. Run the troubleshooter. See if Windows and find the problem. I would also consider checking the Device Manager and look under Network Adaptors. Maybe the card has the wrong driver.

babaloo

Yes, antenna is on. Device drivers for network adapters status: "This device is working properly" according to Windows. Windows also states that "The best driver software for your device is already installed", and that "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date", although I'm not sure how Windows has figured that out without internet connectivity.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Take your computer to a coffee shop, the library or a friend with a wireless router. If the computer connects there, then the issue is with the router. If not, it's the computer.

The antenna is turned on, the latest wireless network drivers are installed, but you're still not connecting. Any changes in the hardware or software? Even Windows Updates have caused problems for some people. Any chance of viruses or spyware? What if you went back to an earlier Restore Point?

If you know it's not a problem with the router and you're still having problems and you've tried everything else, you may want to consider running the Recovery and starting fresh. The bad news is that it wipes your old programs, files, music and pictures from the computer, so make a good back up before starting fresh.

babaloo

After re-installing network adapter drivers and "Restoring" to a previous point, in desparation I finally recreated my network by setting up the router from scratch, creating a new network name and security passwords, and voila - it now works. The worst part of the experience was that Windows 7 Premium Home diagnostics are essentially worthless, offering no better advice than "Windows cannot connect", even though the old wireless network connection was completely visible.