MrAnderson

Satellite A665-S6070 - Cannot update BIOS

[ Edited ]

I have run into the issue where, after an over-discharge, the battery will not charge.  I pretty much gave up on the laptop, and I've recently noticed that there is a BIOS update which is supposed to fix this problem.  However, when I try to install the new BIOS in order to replace the old version, I get an error, where it tells me because my battery is at less than 20%, it cannot install the BIOS.

Is there any way to override this?  Or a reason for it?

And how do I get the BIOS 2.20 verson installed, in either case?

- Alex

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Satellite A665-S6070 - Cannot update BIOS

Always do a Bios upgrade using AC power. If the computer quits working while doing a Bios upgrade on battery power, you could damage the system board. Also when doing a Bios upgrade, have no other applications open. It may do a reboot without giving you a chance to save and close your files. There is no reason to have the battery in the computer while doing a Bios upgrade. If there is no battery in the computer, there would be no reason to give you an error about the battery charge. I always do Bios upgrades within Windows. No reason to burn a CD that you will only use once.

MrAnderson

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I didn't explain the problem properly.

I have the AC power plugged in.  The battery doesn't charge.  It remains at 0% charge.  If I pull the AC power, the computer instantly shuts off.

While the AC is plugged in, I tried running the program to install the new BIOS while in Windows. The program title that appears in the window is UEFI WinFlash 0.02. It tells me an error has occured, the program will close, and then lists 3 things:

BIOS version above 220.

Battery capacity more than 20%

AC power is attached.

I don't know what it means by those things.  The battery power is less than 20%, yes, but I have AC plugged in, so I'm not sure where it is going with that, and the BIOS version is 1.80 (hence, why I am trying to update)

So then I tried burning to a CD the BIOS update, and then I made the computer boot from the CD.  It started booting, then it said error, battery power less than 20%, and it did not install. I have AC power plugged in the whole time.

I will try running it while the battery is not in the computer.

EDIT: I removed the battery and tried, but I remember what it said incorrectly.  It said "Battery not exist or less than 20%".  And then it didn't install and shut the computer down.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

If the computer is under a year old from the date of purchase, the battery should be still under warranty. Contact the Call Center about getting a replacement. If not, you can always buy a new battery or leave the computer as is and consider it a desktop.

There is a Support Bulletin about your problem, number 98083433. It recommends removing the battery, turning on the computer and reinstalling the battery. After that, update the Bios. Go to Product Support to get the full details.

Brah

Was anyone able to get this to work?  I'm having the same issue and can't seem to find an answer.

kwarr

Was there any resolution to this? I am unable to update the bios (>2.20) for my A665. My battery is fully charged and I am AC connected. The Windows error is: WinFlash for UEFI stopped working. I can't find anything beyond this forum thread on the Internet. Please help!

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

kwarr

Assuming yours is a USA model, look on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer, make note of your full model name/number. Go to the Toshiba Downloads site, surf for your model, and download the latest BIOS version for it, to a separate new folder.

This BIOS update file is actually a self extracting, self installing zip file. Use jZip, or any other zip extraction software to extract the zipped files into the folder you've created.  Read the file called  isocdrom.txt  which will give you the basic instructions on how to create a bootable BIOS update CD. But, essentially you need to use Free ISO Burner, or any other ISO disk burning software, and burn the file  xxxxxxx.iso  to disk.

Ensure you do NOT have a BIOS or Startup password enabled in the BIOS. Unplug all peripherals from your computer, unplug/disconnect from the Internet. Then put the disk in your DVD/CD drive, reboot your system, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press F12 to enter the boot sequence menu and boot off the DVD/CD drive. Backup your old BIOS, update your BIOS, the system will want to shutdown or restart, on restart, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press F2 to enter the BIOS setup, press F9 to load setup defaults, press F10 to save and exit, reboot into Windows, and test

Please let us know how it turns out, and if you're successfully able to update your BIOS. Good luck.

Mike

kwarr

Thanks, Mike. Will let give it a go!

Super Advisor
miker643

Happy to help, let us know how it works out.

Mike

I have the same problem not being able to update the BIOS: A665-S5179 PSAW0U running Windows XP I download the BIOS version 230 updater and when running inside Windows get the same error messages, with it saying "above 230." I am running on AC power and installed the keyboard utility mentioned in help. Running it from a boot CD doesn't show an error, but the BIOS is still at A150. I did go into BIOS setup and loaded defaults and saved. I tried updating to A160, but same problems. I wanted to use this old laptop to try out Windows 8, but it won't install. I thought the BIOS update might fix that. Thanks for still having support for an old computer! Tom Fairbanks, Alaska
19tyler84

Having the same problem...Just posted about it as well.

I called Toshiba and was on the phone with their "tech support" for an hour last night. They were not able to help.

I am at my wits end with this. This is the 5th problem I've had with my A665 and have had no product support while in or out of warranty on any of my issue.

Not happy with Toshiba.

Super Advisor
miker643

See my previous post. If the most recent BIOS update for your model will not install with the boot CD method, try an older one first. The available older BIOS updates can be seen by clicking the '+' (plus) symbol beside the most recent update for your model.

Please let us know if it works. Good luck.

Mike

Hi, Mike.

Please re-read MY post! I already tried installing A160 to see if I was trying to jump too far from A150 to A230.

It didn't work, either.

Do you know if the BIOS updates will enable the NX/PAE capabilities that Windows 8 requires? If not, I don't need to get the BIOS updating to work.

Thanks.

Tom

Fairbanks, Alaska

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A665-S5179 Specifications

Satellite A665-S5179 Downloads

Hi Tom

Thanks for the EMPHASIS! But, I really didn't need to re-read YOUR post.

Perhaps you didn't notice the post from 19tyler84 between YOUR post and mine? It wasn't clear what he had or hadn't tried.

But, regardless, implicit in my last post was that if v2.30 won't install for you, and v1.60 won't install, then try v2.00, v1.90, v.1.80, and v1.70. Try a different make/type of CD, to run the CD installation method. If you can get one of the other versions to install, hopefully you can v2.30 to install.

From the updates/fixes listed, I can't guarantee that even with v2.30, that Windows 8 will then run on this unit. But, I would be extremely surprised if a unit that is barely over a year old, according to the date on its specs, wouldn't be able to run Win8 with the latest BIOS update.

Mike

jlane

Hi!  I'm having the same problem.  Battery (0% available, plugged in, charging).  My BIOS version is 1.90 according to the system registry.  I can't install BIOS versions 2.00-2.30 because I'm getting the same message about battery being 20%, AC attached or BIOS above the version (It's not above 2.00, it's 1.90).  I tried removing the battery, checking the contacts, etc.  The Toshiba health center says my battery is in good health.  Has anyone found any fixes to this yet? 

Casey50

Hi there, I'm having the exact same problem described above--battery will not charge after an over-discharge, the BIOS update looks like it will fix the problem, but when I attempt to update the BIOS, I get an error message that specifies the program will close and it lists the following reasons: 

BIOS version above 220

Battery capacity more than 20%

AC power is attached

Can anyone suggest what to do from here? I've tried updating the BIOS from within the Toshiba bulletin board program and also directly from the Downloads section of the Toshiba website.

I'm working on a Satellite A660 (PSAW0U/PSAN3U).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

mkh1

Same problem.  Is there a fix for this yet?

Occasional Contributor
xresx

The only way I have ever been able to update the BIOS on these, if your having the battery problem, is to pull a battery with over 20% from a working unit to do the update. I think its kinda silly to not allow the bios to update if its under 20% as Im sure a lot of you dont have a extra battery around :-p

JMTech

I was able to overcome the problem of having the bios flash fail when your battery is less than 20% charged.

Here are the steps.

1: Download bios version 2.30 from:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/downloadDetail.jsp?soid=3324296&pf=true

2: Extract the contents of saw0v230.exe

3: Execute Launcher.exe

4: Select "CD ROM Installation"

5: Place a blank CD ROM in the drive and burn CD

6: Reboot with CD in the drive, Make sure to change your bios to boot from the CD.

7: During the boot sequence you will see a quick message come up indicating to press F5 or F8, Press F5 "you'll need to be quick"

8: Pressing F5 causes the boot process to exit to a command prompt. At the command prompt enter the following commnand and press enter: Pflash.exe /BIOS /bbl /ec /sd /silent /NRBT /EXIT WQAA230A.ROM

10: Once the Flash process is complete recycle the power. Make sure that the flashing process is 100% complete. Also make sure that you have the correct bios for your laptop.

Note that WQAA230A.ROM is the actual bios file. This file name may potentially change with a new version of the bios.

This process worked for me after trying many other methods.

My battery now changes correctly.

Good Luck.  

nrose

JM Tech,

This is the only solution that worked for me. thank you very much for posting it. don't know where you got the Pflash program, but the BIOS would't update without it! thank you. My battery charges normally now. Nancy