john_7711

Satellite A305 problem: "No bootable device" error after dropping unit

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Last night, I went to set my A305 laptop down on the coffee table. During the motion, my dog, which I was stepping over, jumped up and took off which almost knocked me over. When this happened, I lost my grip on the computer and dropped it onto the coffee table at a height of about 2-3 feet. It was in standby mode so I pressed the button to wake it back up to see if I damaged it. The Internet Explorer session I was previously in pulled up, but nothing would happen when I clicked on any browser buttons or links. I shut down the computer and upon restarting, I got the black screen with "TOSHIBA" in red, as usual, and then I got a black screen with this error message:

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07 (080320)

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I couldn't get it to do anything else at all, even after several shut down attempts. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? Is it a hard drive malfunction as a result from the drop? The unit had worked perfectly for a little over a year up until this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Advisor
LawrenceB

Re: Satellite A305 problem: "No bootable device" error after dropping unit

Try reseating the hard drive. If you still get the "no bootable device" error the drive should be replaced. To reseat the drive turn the unit upside down. With the front facing you, the drive is located under the front left cover.

john_7711

I tried doing that. I've removed it twice. Still no luck. I was hoping that the shock of the impact wouldn't ruin the drive and that at the very least, I'd be able to somehow get my important stuff off of the drive.

Here's a question: Is it possible to somehow transplant the "brain" parts of the hard drive into a new hard drive so that I could recover my data?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Possible, yes.  Can you do it at home, no.  Due to the clearances involved you need to do this in a special clean room as the slightest piece of dust or debri that is normally floating around in the air would ruin the platters that the data is stored on.  If the drive won't work you'll need to send it to a professional data recovery service to have them do it and the cost of something like that starts at about a grand and goes up depending on the specifics.

But before we go there you need to determine if the problem is for sure the hard drive.  Enter the bios and check to see if it is even being recognized or not. 

Also, take the hard drive out and boot to a self booting CD/DVD like a Linux Live CD to verify that the rest of the system is working properly.  If it isn't, then the problem might not be the hard drive itself (although the chances of that are about the same as winning the lottery). 

If the laptop had been off there is a good chance that it would have survived and still worked.  But anytime a rotating hard drive sustains any sort of impact shock the chances of it sustaining damage are about 98%.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

john_7711

Two questions:

1.) How do I access the bios? The options I see upon pressing F2 and F12 while powering up don't mention bios, unless I'm blind.

2.) Where would I get a Linux Live or other self-booting CD?

Sorry if those are extremely noob-like questions. Just want to make sure I do everything right. I can't afford hundreds or thousands of dollars for data recovery services so I need to do what I can to try to revive my laptop.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

When you press F2 it probably says Setup.  That's the bios.

You download one from any number of places on the internet.  Ubuntu and PCLinux are two easy to use and popular ones.  The PCLinux Gnome Zen Mini edition doesn't take as long to download as most of the others and would be a good choice.  http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=186  If your laptop is able to run it fairly well (there will be some lags due to running from the CD rather than the hard drive) you can be aout 99% certain that you can replace the hard drive and be back in business.  If it doesn't work, then you would be better off replacing the entire laptop. 

If you do decide to replace the hard drive I recommend a Western Digital Scorpio Blue in the appropriate size for your needs as they have the best combination of reliability, performance, and price.  You can get them inliune from Newegg and other places for $50 or so (depending on the size).  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.