Nway

Satellite A105-S2001 wont boot after memory upgrade

I just tried to upgrade my memory from 512mb to 2 gb using 2 1gb memory chips from crucial. When i insert both memory chips at the same time my laptop wont boot, it'll attempt to but stop in the middle of the process and try again 5 or 6 times. Nothin shows up on the screen. The same thing happens when i put only one 1gb chip in. When i put my old 512mb chip in and one 1gb chip the computer boots but only recognizes 960mb or ram. i also updated my bios.

thanks

Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

Re: Satellite A105-S2001 wont boot after memory upgrade

Sounds like incompatible memory.  Fortunately, Crucial is very good about honoring their compatibility guarantee so you should be able to get them exchanged.  You can get very strange results with incompatible chips due to the differences in timing specs.  That would account for what you're seeing.  I assume it works normally if you have just the original 512MB chip in place.

Nway

[ Edited ]

incompatible? dang...

i have heard some people had to adjust their bios timing or something  like that

---------

edit: would you happen to know what i should exchange it for?

Message Edited by Nway on 01-28-2009 11:30 AM
Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

First, there is generally no way to change memory timing in a notebook BIOS.  Desktop motherboards usually have a lot more configuration options than you'll find on a notebook.  As far as the memory, it depends on where you actually bought it.  If direct from Crucial, call their support line.  In fact it wouldn't hurt to call their support line even if you bought it from another vendor.  According to their website, the compatible memory is Part No. CT908446.  They list a 2GB kit, Part No. CT908675 which I assume contains two of the 1GB modules.  As I said, Crucial has a very good compatibility guarantee and they have a good reputation for dealing with customer problems.
Nway

[ Edited ]
thanks for your help...

this is what it says on my reciept:

Qty: 1 CT908675

Part Number: CT2KIT12864AC667

and on the chip itselft it says CT12864AC667.8GF

Message Edited by Nway on 01-28-2009 12:27 PM
Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

It sounds like that's the correct part number.  Time to call their support line and have a chat with them.
Occasional Contributor
rcstorck

With many computers when changing the amount of memory, you must enter the bios to allow the bios to automatically detect the new memory, and then select save and exit. You don't have to make any changes while in the bios, but save and exit. It might be worth a try.

Bob

Nway

with both 1gb chips in i cant even access the bios
Occasional Contributor
rcstorck

Ok, I don't have any other suggestions.

Bob

Nway

ok, thanks anyway