LindaG
Accepted Solution

SD card reader problems

Hi. I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5902 that I got for Christmas. I am really enjoying it so far, but I am having problems with the built in  SD card reader. I have used both a 1 GB and a 16 GB SDHC card. Sometimes it will read the card and sometimes it won't.

The laptop came with Vista Home premium. 

Usually on startup, it will scan the SD card and then start, and sometimes it won't.

I know the cards are not bad, because if I put them in a adaptor and plug them in to the USB port, the laptop will read the card fine.

Is there a way to reset the built in card reader thingy? Is there a hardware problem with my new laptop? What am I missing here, because I would like to be able to use the SD card slot and leave the card in continuously. 

RobertH

Re: SD card reader problems

LindaG,

Just got a new Satellite U405D-S2874. First insertion of 2GB SD card in laptop gave me a pop-up saying something about driver software, or searching for driver software. Before I had time to read the complete message, the pop-up vanished. Thereafter, all other attempts to use that card and other cards, one of them a 1GB, were to no avail. Laptop hasn't recognized the cards at all. TaskBar says "Safe To Remove", and card appears to be ejected automatically.

Very same card(s) work fine in dig camera, PDA and wife's laptop. Never any pop-up non-sense on her laptop about driver software.

Occasional Contributor
ShayneHoegi

Have you tried windows update??
RobertH

Shayne,

Are you referring to Windows Update for Driver software, or what?

LindaG

Windows update has run twice since I got the new laptop. I haven't looked for anything in particular though.

I did go into  Device Manager. Under Disk drives there were listings for a flash reader and a Toshiba MK 1652 GSX which I right clicked on and had Windows look for updates. It said the drivers were current. Not sure if there is somewhere else I should be looking though.

Occasional Contributor
ShayneHoegi

check if your cars reader is in the locked position
LindaG

Shayne, I'm not sure how I do that. It's a slot in my laptop, and when I use it the card is pushed all the way in. That said, when I took the card out today to check it because the laptop showed nothing there, it does not register that the card is not there.

I don't know if this is normal or not. This is the first laptop like this I've ever had. It's also my first Toshiba and my first Vista computer. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite L305-S5902

Linda, try reinstalling the driver for that card reader..

Realtek Card Reader (32/64bit)

Edited to provide the Vista driver!

Message Edited by Jerry_Lippey on 01-16-2009 12:26 PM
-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite U405D-S2874

Robert, try installing the latest driver for that card reader..

O2 Micro Card Reader Driver for Windows Vista (32bit/64bit)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ShayneHoegi

on the side of your sd card or micro sd card reader it should say "lock" with an arrow slide it opposite way. aswell most toshibas with vista are plug and play so i will have to agree with jerry if this dosent help your problem
LindaG

Shayne, I'm not sure that is a 'lock', as it did not stop me from removing the SD card. All it says is 'off' and 'on'. There is a little light next to it that comes on when I switch it on, that looks like a wireless symbol of some sort.

So I will try reinstalling the driver, but I think I need one for Vista and not XP, right? 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So I will try reinstalling the driver, but I think I need one for Vista and not XP, right? 

Sorry about that, Linda. I edited my post to show the correct driver..

Realtek Card Reader (32/64bit)

-Jerry
LindaG

Thanks, Jerry. I'll give that a try. :smileyhappy:
LindaG

That seems to have worked, Jerry. Thanks a lot! :smileyhappy:
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to learn it worked, Linda. Thanks for the feedback.
-Jerry