EMRDIV

SATELLITE L555D-S7930 Black screen, won't boot at all

I have heard that this problem exist with this type of laptop, but I can't seem to find a cure.  It first, when it locked up on boot-up, I would shut it down using the power button, unplug the DC and remove batt. It would then boot normally.  Now, I only get the 3grn lights, fan runs for a tenth of a sec., and blk screen. I have hooked up an external monitor (pushing fn 5 key) and still nothing but blk screen.  I removed the ram cards and switched slots. I also removed the hard drive.  Then I decided to ck the fan to see if it was filled with lint.  It only had a little and everything else looked good. I'm no computer expert at all.  As a matter of fact, I know enough to get myself in trouble and that's about all.  I would really appreciate some help if anyone has had this problem, or has any other suggestions.  Thank you for taking the time to read this. Terry

Peter

Re: SATELLITE L555D-S7930 Black screen, won't boot at all

Terry, it sounds like you've done more than most people could have done.

With it plugged into power but turned off, the LEDs showing that it's plugged in and the battery is charging are lit, correct?

Can you try using the laptop without the battery and only the AC adaptor?

Then try again using using only the battery and no AC adaptor. Do either of those scenarios work?

- Peter
EMRDIV

Peter wrote:

Terry, it sounds like you've done more than most people could have done.

With it plugged into power but turned off, the LEDs showing that it's plugged in and the battery is charging are lit, correct?

Can you try using the laptop without the battery and only the AC adaptor?

Then try again using using only the battery and no AC adaptor. Do either of those scenarios work?

Peter, I bought a new m.b. and installed. No chg at all, same prob. I have also tried switching the ram cards, exteranl moniter, batt. out, only batt.  I tried unplug moniter at mb, no chg.  I tried unpluged keyboard, no good. Is there anything else I can do? I'm into this thing almost $300 have the same prob. Any help is appreciated. thx Terry

gcastle173

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Get rid of everything else attached to the computer including external mice, keyboard and any USB devices. Verify the power brick is putting out the 19 volts that it says on the side. (You might get 20 volts since there is no load on it.) Remove the battery. It is not necessary if the computer is running from the AC adaptor. You need to have some RAM in the computer. If you have a way to make sure the RAM is good, even better. A black screen with both the internal and external monitors means that the computer is not doing a POST or that you can go into the Bios. Try again with just the battery. If you are still getting no boot or video, I would consider this a hardware failure and will probably need either a system board and/or CPU replacement.  At this point it is time to do the math. Is it a better value to get this computer repaired or get it replaced? With the continuing decline in computer prices and the high prices of repair it might be time to get this older computer replaced.