king_nothing

SATA hard disk driver

hi

i got a SATA1 hard disk from toshiba model mk2555gsx and when i try to install any operating system it says it cant find any disk installed, my laptop is gateway model m-6804, i´ve donwloaded SATA drivers for my laptop ad it doest work, and i dont find hard disk driver from toshiba, please a dont know what else to do. thak you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: SATA hard disk driver

The installation package for Windows Vista and later contains the driver for a SATA controller.

Windows XP and earlier do not. See these web posts.  Notice that the drivers are not supplied by Toshiba.

Best to consult with Gateway's support for more.

-Jerry
king_nothing

thaks a lot Jerry, but as I posted before, i have tried windows me, xp, vista and 7, i have tried linux(ubuntu,mint,mandriva) and nothing worked, i´ve dowloaded sata drivers from gateway´s support page but they didn´t work, well i guess i´ll have to buy a new one and try to format it as external drive, ill let ou know what happens

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

First go into the bios and verify that the hard drive is recognized by the bios.  If it isn't, then you either have a defective hard drive or a defective motherboard controller. According to the specs on that Gateway model it uses the same chipset that a lot of Toshiba Laptops use so it should support that hard drive.  Please note that while Vista and Windows 7 have built in support for SATA hard drives, XP and Windows 2000 do not and will require integrating the SATA drivers into the XP install disk.  ME, 98, and all previous versions of Windows do NOT have ANY support for SATA and will NOT work with SATA period. 

Next, Toshiba's Hard Drive Support is located at http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/TechnicalSupport  This forum is ONLY for Toshiba Laptops and Projectors. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.