wecache

S855D Win8 Boot from USB or CD to Acronis Recovery Boot Media

I want to boot to either a recovery CD or USB created by Acronis TI backup software on my S855D-S5120, Win8, 64bit, laptop in order to access system and file backups located on an NAS.

Reviewing my Advanced Settings I have the boot order set to CD, USB, HDD, Network so the system should be able to boot to either CD or USB if they contain a bootable media.

System will boot from a recovery CD but the Acronis Boot software cannot "see" my network NAS device.

When booting into Win8 and starting the Acronis TI application it "sees" the NAS device just fine and is able to create both bootable CD and USB.

The USB device won't boot even though it is 2nd in boot order.  USB lights up but nothing else happens.  Files and structure on USB look good similar to the boot CD created by Acronis.

How can I access a boot manager or other method of forcing boot from CD or USB during system startup.

It seems that with native Win8 installed in this system I have to be able to boot to Win8 and then access the Advanced Settings before I can get to the BIOS.

This is all well and good but I need to protect myself for when Win8 fails to boot and use the Acronis Recovery CD or USB to start its application and be able to "see" my NAS device where the system backups are stored.

Any suggestions about how to approach this problem?

Thank you, Dennis

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: S855D Win8 Boot from USB or CD to Acronis Recovery Boot Media

Satellite S855D-S5120

Which version of Acronis TI is this? One of the free programs offered by drive manufacturers? For starters, you need network drivers on the boot media to see a NAS.

Windows 8 does not completely power down by default. What happens if you depress the Shift key while you click Shut down?

-Jerry
wecache

This is paid TI 2013.  Long time Acronis user.

I did use the SHIFT key during shut down during my testing.

Dennis

wecache

Acronis Bootable Recovery utility writes a complete bootable CD.  Not sure how I would "add" any drivers.

I agree that the CD can't see my network card when booting on its own.  Previous versions and other systems this has not been a problem.  Something different either with Win8 OEM install or possibly the way the System is configured from factory.

Acronis may not be picking up on the changes....

I could add files to a bootable USB but the USB Bootable Recovery created by Acronis won't boot in this system no matter how I approach forcing it to do so.  The drive just lights up and sits there....

Dennis

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

the USB Bootable Recovery created by Acronis won't boot in this system

Try it this way.

(1) Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.
(2) Power on and press F2 while the TOSHIBA logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.
(3) Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".
(4) Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."
(5) Press F10 to save and exit.

-Jerry
wecache

Thanks for the attempt BUT please don't make this recommendation again. I'm now responding using Kendal reader System won't read HD at all after carefully following directions. F2 does NOT work. Only access BIOS through win8 advanced settings. won't boot to USB. Will boot to CD but when it tries to go through Acronis to boot through to win8 all I get is gray screen with blinking dos like cursed. Nothing I do gets me past this point. No Toshiba logo ever comes up. No access to BIOS to reset as before. Now locked out of system How can I get BIOS reset back the way it was so I can boot from HD?r Really FRUSTRATED,
wecache

System now bricked. Followed BIOS reset instructions and on f10 save result in flashing cursor. Hours spent trying various reboot methods. Toshiba recovery disks wont even see C:\ drive. I think I have to get to BIOS but no method works. Can get to CMD prompt X:\ through tosh recovery cd but that's all. HELLLLLLP I feel that resetting back from CSM boot to UEFI boot might get me back to even??? HOW CAN I ACCESS BIOS WHEN ALL I GET AT POWER ON IS FLASHING CURSOR?? Dennis
wecache

Toshiba support judges that HD bad. Coincidentally this occurred exactly when I hit F10 to exit BIOS changes. Possible I guess but I'm not convinced. They are replacing HD under warranty. Though backups now take hours I will use Toshiba recovery Cd I initially created and then Acronis image I saved to NAS to get back to near disk fail point. After about 17 hours I may be back to fail point. What I gained was full cold shutdown allows boot order to work as shown in BIOS, CD USB HD NET. Disconnect AC and remove battery. Hold power button 30 seconds. Reassemble and insert bootable CD or bootable USB works once. Still not sure why system ignores BIOS boot order most of the time. Could NEVER get to BIOS using F2 no matter how many times and ways I tried. Dennis
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry about not checking in here, Dennis. Had a death in the family.

Toshiba support judges that HD bad.

Sheesh. Who would have guessed! As you say, some coincidence.

Disconnect AC and remove battery. Hold power button 30 seconds.

That would have been my suggestion. Perhaps the "complete" power down did not complete properly.

-Jerry