PSK
PSK

S50-A-115 won't boot

Hi, I have a new S50-A-115 win 8 laptop which I tried to install Win 8.1 RTM as a dual boot on, it installed ok with uefi secure boot off, but I then turned secure boot on and now the laptop won't boot. The power button light comes on for about 5 seconds, the fan whirrs and the hdd spins and then it shuts down, there is a single flash of the power button light after that. Is there any way out of this situation, have ordered a recovery disk, but don't think the dvd drive will start up. It ejects ok if I press the eject button during the 5 seconds. The screen is blank and usb sticks don't show any lights. Are there any magic key combinations I can try during boot ?
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: S50-A-115 won't boot

Satellite S50-A-115 (PSKKAE-00F008EN)

I assume you're content to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media at this point.

If you're persistent, both Microsoft and Toshiba say you can reach the Choose an option menu (the Windows 8 version of a recovery environment) from startup.

Microsoft says that repeatedly failing to boot automatically gets you there. You can also get there by booting from a system repair/recovery/installation disc or flash drive.

Toshiba says tapping the F12 key early in the boot gets you there. (You may need to Select <HDD Recovery> after that.) The zero key at the top also seems to work for some.

Once there,..

Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

-Jerry
PSK
PSK

Thanks for the reply, I would be delighted if I could get back to that position, at the moment it is pretty dead apart from 5 seconds where it switches on and then off, I assume the Uefi is seeing the hdd as some sort of malware if not then there might be some sort of hardware fault.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That does seem like a hardware fault. If you didn't create recovery media, you can order it.

Toshiba Europe Backup Media Online Shop

-Jerry
PSK
PSK

have ordered it, due to arrive tomorrow. Concern is that the DVD drive won't spin up, but shall report back.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry
PSK
PSK

no luck with the recovery disk, shuts down after 5 seconds, tried f12, esc f1, esc f2, f8 . looks like it's broke

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Too bad. Service time.

-Jerry
PSK
PSK

thanks for your help