Belize

Restore Factory settings on NB 205 netbook?

I am overseas and my netbook cannot connect to wireless networks, play sounds, show me the start bar, or play files. This happened in one night. Woke up and everything is changed.

Where can I find a restore/reboot file online?

or

How can I run a system restore?

I tried to use Start>all programs>accesories>system tools>system restore/ and i get the message"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again." After restarting several times no change occurs.

Thanks for any advice,

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Restore Factory settings on NB 205 netbook?

See the section Hard Drive Recovery beginning on p. 47 of the User's Guide.

NB200 Series User's Guide

If you need more help, tell us which NB205 that is.

-Jerry
sohelindo

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

See the section Hard Drive Recovery beginning on p. 47 of the User's Guide.

NB200 Series User's Guide

-----

1 Make sure the computer is turned off.

2 Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer.

-----

i tried the procedure ^^ to entrance setup recovery, but always entered the form "windows boot manager" how to open Toshiba Recovery Wizard @nb205? :confused:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

-Jerry
aether

Thank you for helping this other person, this thread solved a question i had. your solution was exactly correct (although he did not return to say so), thank you.

if i have a more advanced question about using this feature i will return shortly, after trying to understand this process.

AshlieKC

My NB 205 won't boot up - it gets stuck on the Toshiba screen that appears before the windows XP screen.  When I try to hold down zero while the it powers on, nothing happens.

srene

My NB 205 won't boot up - it gets stuck on the Toshiba screen that appears before the windows XP screen.  When I try to hold down zero while the it powers on, nothing happens.

Occasional Contributor
xoxos

Hi,

I've just purchased a used NB205 on ebay.. the item listing # is 160593847990, and hopefully this link leads to it :smileyhappy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160593847990&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The microsoft XP product key on the bottom is completely unreadable. I have asked the seller if they recorded the key anywhere, I doubt they have it since it wasn't included. If I use the restore procedure on p. 47 of the NB205 manual, am I going to be stuck with an unusable notebook because I don't have the product key? Can I activate the software with another Win XP product key?

(If you think it will help at all, I'm posting from a satellite T2050 which is registered to myself.. I can post a photo of the worn XP product label..)

Any help would be appreciated. I develop music software, which is why I like the stability of XP :smileyhappy:

Rurik

http://www.xoxos.net

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB205-N312/BL

If you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media, the version of Windows restored will have been preactivated. No key is necessary.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
xoxos

Cheers Jerry :smileyhappy:

Do you know if that includes the [restart while holding 0] option?

Otherwise I have to buy an external DVD drive (I'm guessing I can't create to ~a 32 GB flash drive..) I've seen startup discs on Ebay and am presuming they are not keyed for a specific system, only model :smileyhappy: The notebook also includes a recovery disc generation file.

Thank you for the response! :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Do you know if that includes the [restart while holding 0] option?

I do and it does. See the section Recovering the original factory image (recommended recovery method), which begins on p. 48 of the User's Guide.

NB200 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
xoxos

:smileyhappy:

On your toes *and* helpful! :smileyhappy:

Cheers, and thanks to the lot of you..

I lived in a tent for nine months, carried my T2050 from one hemisphere to the other in a backpack. Snakes have probably taken residence inside it. I'm a developer and it has proven not only indispensible, but indestructible. I have had an extremely positive user experience :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I lived in a tent for nine months, carried my T2050 from one hemisphere to the other in a backpack. Snakes have probably taken residence inside it.

We don't hear stories like that very much around here. I live near Beverly Hills and haven't seen a snake in years.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
brad

At least not one without two feet, eh? :-)

And yes, it's nice to see a complimentary post.

Occasional Contributor
xoxos

oh geez! i've got pictures!

i had to resort to owning only what i could carry and caught a plane to new south wales, where i lived in a tent (a small tent) for a year. rain, snow, hot.

when i took down the tent i had a juvenile black snake (very poisonous) living underneath me (pictures). (the other variety abounds in my environment as well).

i couldn't lock the tent so i had to carry my laptop EVERYWHERE, which means it probably got put down hard a few times. the card slot on the front left is a bit trashed.

i'm a software developer, and i use it EVERYDAY for at least 12 hours. it's my lifeline. someone said "engineers use toshiba because of their reliability" - they didn't say you made them immortal :smileyhappy:

except my battery life - that's down to about 10 minutes :smileyvery-happy:

i get a bit teary eyed - nice when people make things well! :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

oh geez! i've got pictures!

How about attaching a picture or two?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
xoxos

this spot in NSW was home for about 10 months (you can clearly see the orientation of my sleeping bag) following a month of transience

here's a closeup of my roomie (hard to see in the above pic)

one of the places i was able to plug in, i did a bit of softsynth development and lots of music composition here, eg. the pastorally influenced
http://xoxos.bandcamp.com/track/unicorn-valley

this was the much-coveted dry, warm office, a campground kitchen. i developed a few win32 sdk apps here

the wacom graphire 3 tablet has also held up well, though it's needed more mechanical repairs at the cable attachment.

this is so unbelievable it's embarassing to tell - there are little holes in the back of the wacom next to the buttons that are just the right size for an ant to enter.

when an ant goes inside your wacom tablet, it will occasionally produce some contact that will momentarily redirect your pointer. really..

..the weird thing is that i had an ant (or possibly a few ants) that hitched a ride somewhere and lived in there for three or four days. i'd set up somewhere and it would crawl out and run around on the surface of the tablet, then when i tried to squish it (it was frustrating) it would run back inside the tablet. i know insects are sometimes attracted to electronic equipment but this was so bizarre i feel like i'm lying just relating it.

i bought the toshiba refurb through newegg, every port and function still works (even the disc drive), runs every day all day long.

i only wish it had a little foldout magnifying glass, tweezers and scissors on it :smileyvery-happy:

thank you toshiba team! :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for the pictures and the ant stories.

i bought the toshiba refurb through newegg, every port and function still works (even the disc drive), runs every day all day long.

thank you toshiba team! :smileyhappy:

We don't get stories like that very often either.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
xoxos

my advice for the impecunious who rely on their system functioning:

music production can run the cores a bit, otherwise:

"win xp tuning tips" to remove all the unwanted junk, no shadows, animations, win98 UI performance (vista or 7.. are you serious??!)

no antivirus (no nortons!)

no updates for anything unless you *know* you need it!

no unnecessary browsing, media or games!

clean the junk out from between the keys and ports regularly :smileyhappy: and love every atom.

of course, it all goes without saying if one is sensible..

garvey2003

HI, Not sure if you guys can help, I have a Netbook NB200, xp would blue screen with a unmountable boot volume message.

I press 0 to get into recovery mode but when I did, I didn't get any other messages just went into recover mode.

Now the netbook is stuck with the Toshiba gray/white and black screen with a command prompt that says

DrvLoad: Sucessfully loaded x:\Windows\inf\battery.inf.

Checking for HHD1

HDD1 not found!

Checking for drive C:...

C: Unmounted!

Checking for drive V:...

Drive v: not mounted --> No unmount needed

Checking for drive p:...

Drive P: not mounted --> no unmount needed

Try to remove all letters from potential partitions on HDD 0 ...

and just sits like is. its been 20 minutes so far. Any Ideas?

If I try and reboot the screen goes back to this everytime. I do not have any other discs plus no disc drive. any help would be great