Shubee

Recovery hangs during reboot

Good morning...

After having several issues with my Satellite P205-S6297 trying to run XP SP2 on it, I finally gave up and decided to run the recovery CD. Things went smoothly until I got to the initial Vista screen (where your desktop icons are, etc), and then the "Toshiba is running final application installation. Your system will reboot in a few moments. DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS!" (Or at least, something to that effect...)

Regardless of how many times I try, or how long I wait, the system never reboots; if anything, it simply shuts down. When it does this, I can power the system back up, and go through the process all over again. The system simply will not reboot and finalize the "Out-of-Box" configuration.

I need my computer; as a remote technician, I am attached to my office via my laptop about 99% of the time. I started this whole "recovery" process over the weekend so it would be done by late Sunday afternoon, and I was sitting here at 11:45 last night trying to get the system to restore, and then up again at 4:30 this morning, still wrestling with it. (I'm using my wife's desktop right now in an effort to find a solution.)

Can someone please give me an answer to what the problem might be, and how I can get my system restored? What good is a "recovery CD" if it doesn't recover?

Needless to say, I'm a bit unhappy with Toshiba's idea of "recovery"...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Shubee

Re: Recovery hangs during reboot

I forgot to mention that every time I manually reboot the computer (since it either just hangs up or shuts itself down during the "Final Application Recovery" mode), when it comes back up, it says it cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. So even booting in Safe Mode doesn't work.

It's almost like the thing is locked into some looping cycle and I'm at a loss as to how to get it back to "out of the box" condition. Hope someone can help....

Occasional Contributor
Chuckster

Make sure your lan or broadband cable is disonnected while you reimage.  That can be a problem on some models.  Good luck !!
Shubee

Well, the first time I ran the recovery CD, once it had completed the "recovery", it gave me that very message: "Please disconnect your network cable and turn off your wireless adapter before hitting the Restart button". So I did. (The LAN cable had been connected through the imaging process, however.)

When the system hung during restart, I figured the LAN being connected had caused the problem, so I disconnected ALL external devices (speakers, USB mouse, external drive, etc) and then ran the image process again. It's still doing the same thing, with no noticeable change. It boots up to where you can see the desktop, icons, etc, then says "Finalizing Recovery Application. Your system will reboot in a few seconds. DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS!" and then once it supposedly "reboots", nothing happens. It just locks up, goes to a blank screen, and (usually) turns off.

Thanks for the tip; I'm hoping to get this resolved soon. Still no luck so far..... :smileysad:

Shubee

[ Edited ]

Still no luck.

I'm wondering (since I haven't heard any suggestions from anyone else as to what the problem might be) if the update BIOS might have something to do with the Recovery Disc failure to reboot?

The Recovery process works up until what I assume is the final stage: the "out-of-box" image loads, system reboots, I get to the desktop (I can actually see the icons, etc) and then the big blue Toshiba screen pops up with the "Finalizing Recovery...Do Not Interrupt This Process!" message.

I've used these Recovery CDs before, so I'm fairly certain they're good; but something is not allowing the final reboot to complete, and frankly, I'm stumped. I can always wipe the drive myself and install whatever software I choose, but quite honestly, I'm not going pay for Windows Vista when it came on these recovery CDs (another gripe I have about buying pre-packaged garbage). And I shouldn't have to format and install software when the whole purpose of a "Recovery Disc" is to prevent situations such as this.

So, is it possible that the updated BIOS (which was downloaded per Toshiba's support bulletin) might be preventin the final reboot?

Has anyone else seen or dealt with this problem?a

Message Edited by Shubee on 12-27-2008 04:34 AM
Shubee

Where's all the so-called "support" that these forums are supposed to be about?

75 views and no replies...

What a great way to find the answer to your computer problems.

Sheesh...

Micki

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656.

Thanks for any clues.

6thCylon

Make sure that you are not using extra memory.  3rd party memory can cause this.  Or loose memory.  Also try flashing the latest BIOS.  And clean the disc, as maybe it is misreading a critical part of it.  Also make sure nothing is connected except power.