Likach

Ran Decrapifier. What bloatware to delete?

So I ran PC Decrapifier on my brand new lappy (C655D) and I wanted to know which of these toshiba apps could I safely delete. I really don't use any of them so I would just like to know which ones I could delete without causing any harm or damage. Or do I just delete them all? Advise please.

These are the toshiba apps that are shown through my Decrapifier:

Skype Launcher

Toshiba App Place

Toshiba Application Installer

Toshiba Assist

Toshiba Book Place

Toshiba Bulletin Board

Toshiba Disk Creator

Toshiba Face Recognition

Toshiba Hardware Setup

Toshiba HDD/SDD Alert

Toshiba Laptop Checkup

Toshiba Media Controller

Toshiba Quality Application

Toshiba Recovery Media Creator

Toshiba ReelTime

Toshiba Service Station

Toshiba Supervisor Password

Toshiba Value Added Package (There are 2 of these)

Toshiba Web Camera Application

TOSHIBARegistration

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Ran Decrapifier. What bloatware to delete?

[ Edited ]

Go HERE and you will find a description of every Toshiba Utility.  You decide whether you need them or not.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
pinoyswap

Hi.

Here is my opinion:

Skype Launcher (I know how to setup my own Skype)

Toshiba App Place (I dont buy apps)

Toshiba Application Installer (Keep this)

Toshiba Assist (I am knowledgeable with computers and Google is my bestfriend)

Toshiba Book Place (I dont buy books)

Toshiba Bulletin Board (Annoying)

Toshiba Disk Creator (Windows7 can burn .iso, and my things at home can run files from a flashdrive)

Toshiba Face Recognition (Face instead of password? A burglar may hold my picture to it. What if I grew a pimple?)

Toshiba Hardware Setup ( I keep this this is important)

Toshiba HDD/SDD Alert (I'd get rid of this and keep my files backed up so my drive may crash anytime)

Toshiba Laptop Checkup (Not very accurate in my opinion)

Toshiba Media Controller (Not for me)

Toshiba Quality Application (I dont know what this is for and other manufacturers does not have one)

Toshiba Recovery Media Creator (I'd create a set or two then get rid of this)

Toshiba ReelTime (WMP and VLC is all I need)

Toshiba Service Station (Helpful with drivers but I'd update my BIOS manually myself)

Toshiba Supervisor Password (This is a patch for BIOS passwords, dont put BIOS passwords in your computers)

Toshiba Value Added Package (Keep all)

Toshiba Web Camera Application (You should keep this if your unit has a webcam)

TOSHIBARegistration (I'd call techsupport and get them to register for me, this is another "used once" application)

Without these, 4GB RAM, an "oversized" paging file, disabled startups and services (hiding MS Services) my Windows 7 SP1 64bit flies.

DOSgeezer

To Likach,

Kudos.  Thanks for the detailed list with suggestions with recomendations on what to trash.  One more question did you simply use the "Control Panel", "Add/Remove" or did you use "DeCrapifier" software? 

If you used DeCrapifier what version, size of file, date of file did you use?

I will google DeCrapifier, but do you have a suggestion where to find it?

DOSgeezer

skipcoop@hotmail.com

DOSgeezer
geeksalive

[ Edited ]

Thanks, cbwilsha, for the useful link, but it doesn't list everything. In particular, it doesn't list

C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe

and:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Utilities\KeNotify.exe
and:
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TBS\HSON.exe

Google finds that HSON manages the "touch buttons," which are presumably those seven buttons to the right of the power button (which happen to be defective on this Satellite A665 laptop anyhow).

And what about the first two? Do you know what they are, and why they're auto-starting, and whether or not I should let them continue to auto-start?

That link does list:
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Utilities\HWSetup.exe
but doesn't say what it is auto-starting. HWSetup is described by Toshiba as "a tool that allows you to configure your computer." That doesn't sound like something which shourld run at startup. Do you know why it is configured to auto-start?

That link also lists "Flash Cards" which I think is probably:
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\FlashCards\00TCrdMain.exe

That sounds useless.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

The first program, SVPWTIL, is listed in the link I gave you and is the Supervisor Password Utility.

The second is KeNotify explained HERE.

The third is HSON explained HERE

HWSetup is a very important program to me but if you don't want it to Startup, that's your choice.

Flash cards are hardly "useless".  I use them multiple times every day and would not want to be without them.  However, like everything else discussed here, you can tailor your computer however you want.

I would say this however; we have lots of folks come on here shouting "HELP" because they went around deleting files and programs that messed up their machines.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit