acmeglue

Qosmio x775-3dv80 Blu Ray/DVD burning gets Blue Screen of Death.

I just got a new Qosmio X775 3DV80 laptop.

Tried to burn a Blu Ray movie with DVDfab 8. The process went through all the way till the very end and then I get a blue screen of death every single time. the brief error says IRQ problem. burning DVD gets the same.

a friend as a same model laptop. tried on his with the same result.

So it's not my particular machine!

i installed a copy of Windows 7 Pro on the sencond HD. burning either DVD or Blu Ray with no problem.

it suggests there's a glitch with combo of the original Windows 7 and the Blu Ray drive.

i have not contacted Tosh yet.

Anyone else experience the same???

Peter

Re: Qosmio x775-3dv80 Blu Ray/DVD burning gets Blue Screen of Death.

Have you tried uninstalling the ODD from Device Manager? Try it, and then reboot, allowing Windows to reinstall the driver.

- Peter
infologic

I have the same problem with my new x775-3dv80, i uninstalled the driver and let windows install it again and it still doesn't help. Is there any solution to fix this?

Peter

Did it ever work for you?

If so, try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

If that doesn't work, you could try a system recovery. Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide. To load the recovery utility, press F12 when the initial TOSHIBA screen appears. Then, select "HDD Recovery."

If the problem persists after this, I'd suggest getting it serviced.

- Peter
acmeglue

Peter, thanks for your suggestions. I tried so and didn’t work either however. I compared the drivers for the blu ray disk between the preinstalled Windows 7 version and my Windows 7 Pro (works as my first post). The only difference is the former has two drivers: (1) cdrom.sys, and (2) tdcmdpst.sys. (the Windows 7 Pro has only one : cdrom.sys). It seems this model shares the a common problem, but not enough users with the app combo to stir up some waves… Additionally: Between my first post and this one, the screen acted up. It would go black and came back in 2 sec with full brightness. The current app would freeze and brightness control function stopped working. Happened in random and a few times within an hour. Got a replacement from Amazon where I bought it (same blue screen problem on this one, too). Two weeks or so later, the 3D function went out on the new one. Today, the wireless function went south… am I "lucky" or crap on Tosh’s side?
Peter

Because you're having so many problems, I'd suggest trying that recovery procedure I discussed in the previous post just to prove it's a hardware issue and then contacting customer support to get it serviced.

- Peter
Peter

infologic, does this happen with Blu-ray burning, DVD burning, or both?

- Peter
infologic

it happens with dvd burning, i haven't burned blu-ray's

Peter

infologic, have you tried a System Restore or recovery?

- Peter
infologic

i did a system restore to an earlier time after i uninstalled the driver for it to install again but didn't change anything, still get a blue error screen when it burns. right at the point of finalizing the disc thats when i get the blue error screen and the computer restarts

Peter

What program are you using to burn? Have you tried another?

- Peter
infologic

convert x to dvd, no i didn't try a different program for burning.

Peter

I would try that next to help determine whether it's a problem with all burning software or just that one.

- Peter
acmeglue

I received my second replacement laptop (brand new) from the seller. Tried burning both BD/DVD out of box, same issue!

The fact that all three of my machines, plus my friend’s and Infologic’s have the exact problem, (Infologic may’ve used a different burning program than mine, DVDfab); the error message suggests that there’s some hardware Interrupt conflict tween the driver and the OS. I tend to believe that Toshiba’s driver, tdcmdpst.sys, is the culprit as both DVD/BD burning works fine on my second Windows 7 Pro partition without this driver.

I was hoping there enough people to raise the issue that Toshiba would look into it.

Peter

I don't have any other idea how to solve the problem. You may want to call customer support at (800) 457-7777. If I learn of anything that could help, I'll post.

- Peter
cmb_omaha

mine did this from day one so no need to restore mine.  it still does it and makes me mad.  my other toshiba did not do this but it has a external dvd burner.  for the amount of money i paid for this laptop it should not do this.  i also run dvdfab and run it on my dell laptop, my other toshiba laptop and my desktop that i made with no problems.