wallalon

Portege R835 USB 3.0 port problem (Shutdown everytime)

Hello,

The problem is that the USB 3.0 port continues to turn off shortly after connecting any device (mouse, usb memory, printer...).

The only way to restore it's functionality is to reboot.  I have continued to have this problem since I bought the computer.

There is no issue with the 2 USB 2.0 ports.

I have bios 3.0, win 7 64bit home premium.

Few other people have address the same problem here before but I didn't see any solution.

Please Help!

links to other topics:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/R835-P50x-USB-3-0-Random-Shutdown/m-p/210318#M...

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7/Portege-R835-USB-port-problem-wireless-mouse-amp-keyboard/td-...

wallalon

Re: Portege R835 USB 3.0 port problem (Shutdown everytime)

no one knows?

egorxe

[ Edited ]

USB 3.0 problem appeared on my Satellite R830 after a month of everyday use. Controller started to power itself off not only on heavy file transfers, but sometimes even with simple USB mouse connected to it. Problem existed on both OSes which I have installed on my SSD: 32-bit WinXP Pro with latest driver from Toshiba's website ver. 2.0.34.1 and 64-bit FC16 Linux with 3.1.2 kernel (i've swapped stock HDD to Intel 320 SSD and said goodbye to Win7).

After a small research it seems that this is not Toshiba's problem, but a bug in old firmware of Renesas uPD720200 USB 3.0 controllers. It is described here for example. I've installed latest Renesas firmware (4.0.1.5) and latest Windows driver (2.1.28.0) found here, and it helped. I think problem has completely vanished now on all OSes, so solution was in firmware update, not in driver. 

keith70

egorxe I think you nailed it.  I found this is in the firmware readme file:  "6. There is a possibility that a data transfer stops with UAS drive. This issue only occusr with Ver 2.1.19.0."

However, whenever I try to update my firmware it says that a "uPD720200 & uPD720200a" device is not found.  I can't figure out how to change the firmware or what actual hardware I even have in my computer; yes, I have a portege 835.  So, I can't figure out what my actual host controler device is.  Can you explain how?  I'm a Win 7 64 user.  I would like to get the latest firmware on it.

I was able to upgrade the Windows driver, but that didn't help.  I actually succeeded in making by backup drive unreadable by being in the middle of a write when the port quit. :-(

egorxe

keith70 wrote:

egorxe I think you nailed it.  I found this is in the firmware readme file:  "6. There is a possibility that a data transfer stops with UAS drive. This issue only occusr with Ver 2.1.19.0."

However, whenever I try to update my firmware it says that a "uPD720200 & uPD720200a" device is not found.  I can't figure out how to change the firmware or what actual hardware I even have in my computer; yes, I have a portege 835.  So, I can't figure out what my actual host controler device is.  Can you explain how?  I'm a Win 7 64 user.  I would like to get the latest firmware on it.

I was able to upgrade the Windows driver, but that didn't help.  I actually succeeded in making by backup drive unreadable by being in the middle of a write when the port quit. :-(

May be this post will help you.

keith70

Thanks.  That post enabled me to flash the firmware.  I rebooted after flashing the firmware, but it has NOT taken care of the problem. :-(  I am glad it worked for you.  Any more ideas?

keith70

Is there anyway to make sure that the flash worked?  It certainly appeared to.

egorxe

Programs in start menu -> Renesas Electronics -> USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver ->  USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility. Firmware version is shown there. BTW - try to reflash your controller while it is in "broken" state. Reflashing of mine even waked it up, so I'm just curious. I hope that we will be able to find some universal solution to this problem.

wallalon

First, thank you egorxe for your help!

I tried everything in the thread, driver, firmware, srom

I can say something changed because it was the first I managed to transfer a 100mb file by this port..

BUT-

In the second try, it died so no solution for the problem in my R835. :smileysad:

If you have more information and links please share!

keith70

I agree.  Thanks egorxe!  

Mine is still not working for me either.

I tried as per your last set of directions.  I found that the first time I ran the command prompt with the /srom ?, it woke up my port.  So, I got my port to turn off again and then ran the /srom write.  My port did not restart.  Then I rebooted my computer and the port was still off. ;-)

So I redid the process and sure enough /srom ? restarted the port.  I then redid the /srom write and it looked my port might just be okay.  I restarted my computer and tested...and ohhh... bombed off again.

I did look for the Renesas Electronics in my programs.  I couldn't find it there.  I also looked in the install/uninstall list and it wasn't there either.  So, I'm a bit stuck.

I attached my command prompt efforts.  I don't know if that is helpful.

Thanks again.

wallalon

Now after updating to the new ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.40

usb3.0 port is totally dead!!!

JerryBear

I do not see recent activity in this thread, here is the record of my (successful) fight with USB problem:

• I had to identify which Renesas chip I have in my computer, which is not so easy to find out. I have downloaded HWiNFO (64 bit version in my case) from hwinfo.com, installed it, run it and found in Bus section, PCI Bus #0/Intel Cougar Point PCH - PCI Express Port 5/PCI Express x1 Bus #5 that I have NEC/Renesas Electronics uPD720200A USB 3.0 Host Controller. If you have problem finding this info, generate Report, open it and do the search for "Renesas" string.
  • I have visited station-drivers.com and found out in the RENESAS/NEC section that for 720200/720200A the latest version of driver is 2.1.28.1 and the latest version of firmware is 3.0.2.8.0.8 & 4.0.1.5.0.2 (it is a combo, the first number applies to 720200, the second to 720200A -- do not mix those versions!). You have to download and install both for your port to work correctly. My Portege was manufactured in January 2012 and had drivers/firmware from 2010!
  • Driver installation should not be a problem - first unpack files to some convenient folder, then run install as an administrator.
  • Firmware installation is more problematic, since Windows updater (uPD720200_uPD720200A_FW_Updater.exe) does not work properly on Win7 64bit. You have to use command-line updater located in the subfolder, as described in  Pete's Blog. Long story short: you have to open command window as an administrator, navigate to the folder where W200FW35.exe is located and execute it 3 times. First you check which version of the firmware you have, then you dump current firmware to a MEM file (for safety) and finally flash firmware using F401502.MEM file (for uPD720200A chip). CMD files located in the same folder as updater should be helpful here.

You have to restart your computer after those procedures!

It is 3 hours after update and flash drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port still works - previously anything plugged into that port was dead after 5 to 10 minutes.

Again, be very careful while doing all those steps and pay attention to your specific hardware. I have looked around, but the only updaters I could find were for Windows, so Linux users must have Windows also installed to do the update.

Good luck!

Jerry

wallalon

Thank's for the info Jerry

I sent my laptop to Toshiba labs here in israel.

They replaced the usb 3 part in the computer.

2 days have passed for now and it is working!

Finally!

Peter

A new BIOS update has been released that may fix issues with USB 3.0. Please see my post here.

- Peter