CathyA

Parameter is Incorrect. (0x80070057)

This is the error message that displays when I try to restore files from backup discs.  A few days ago, I had to restore my laptop (A505-S6980) to factory condition in an attempt to cure a wireless connection issue.  The issue still exists, but I did make backup discs of my files prior to the attempt. 

Now I cannot restore my files no matter what I try.  I've read and tried a couple suggestions on Microsoft Answers forum, but still no go.  Any suggestions besides individual file restore?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Parameter is Incorrect. (0x80070057)

Satellite A505-S6980

Please give us a link to your thread in Microsoft Answers. I could find only this one from a CathyA.

toshiba satellite L305-s5968 with windows 7 does not hold wireless connection

Also, attach a picture of the message you receive.

-Jerry
CathyA

I have not yet received a response to my question on the MS Answers Forum.  I spent more than 1/2 an hour just searching for suggestions that pertain to my situation.  This is the closest I came, but the individual seems to have resolved the problem by upgrading to Windows 7.  I already have Win7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/the-parameter-is-incorrec...

Another person had a similar issue while using an external hard drive for backup but again with Vista.

Picture?  Of the Answers response or screen shot of error message on my comp?

Thanks for trying to help.  It's very much appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Give us a screen shot of the error message, Cathy.

Did you notice this in the thread you referenced?

How to Manually Restore Files Backed Up Using Windows Backup

-Jerry
CathyA

Thanks, Jerry, yes I did notice that one.  It references files backed up on a different OS as well as Vista, though.  I backed up my files using Windows 7, and I'm trying to return the files using the same OS and the same computer.

If I can't get this problem resolved, then I'll try to restore the files manually.  I just didn't want to fall back to that level.  I can't figure out what I'm missing...or haven't tried...or just not doing right.  It should be pretty simple to just restore files that originally copied to disc without error.  It's like the computer spit them out and refuses to take them back.  :smileyfrustrated:

Here's a link to my post on Answers:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/the-parameter-is-incorrect-0x...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I've reviewed other questions similar to my own, but those individuals were using Vista. 

Windows Vista (Windows NT 6.0) and Windows 7 (Windows NT 6.1) are the same in most respects.

In particular KB970914 applies to both. (Microsoft hasn't gotten around to update the Applies To section on all these thousands of articles.) Seems likely you'll need to do it this way.

What happens when you try to restore in Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

By the way, KB982736 might be relevant because it involves Windows backup trying to write or read media. (Just defending the Microsoft person who suggested it.)

-Jerry
CathyA

I've tried both regular Safe Mode and Diagnostic Repair (Safe) Mode.  The system won't allow me to restore files in that mode.  (That's what it's telling me.)

KB982736  seems to be the only suggestion the forum comes up with for this issue.  There is no follow up, though.  They just assume that should resolve the issue, and it does not.

Thank you for trying to help.  It will take me days, if not weeks, to individually restore the files that I "safely" backed up.  Needless to say, I'm never using that feature again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry we couldn't be more helpful, Cathy.

-Jerry